• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Venison Summer Sausage

DonBo

AWESOME!

I have yet to part with the $$$ for a good stuffer, so this is at the top of my list! I might try it with beef first before I screw up venison :)  Is Louisiana Cajun Salt a brand name?  I'm guessing Cajun powder is your standard store-bought Cajun seasoning?

Honestly, I've never found these exact products, just use something similar you've already got in your cabinet and you'll be good. I've never used exactly the same recipe twice and it still turns out great every time.  

You can certainly fine tune this to your own taste. Personally, I use less off the hot stuff and more garlic myself.

Don't be afraid, just go for it.  BTW, the smaller 10 lb batch has NEVER been enough.  ;)

Great,

I will use some Tony Chachere's creole seasoning and some normal saltless cajun seasoning.  I'll be doing the small batch just because I'm pretty new to all of this and i want to make sure I don't waste a lot if something does go awry :)  But I'm sure I'll be making the big batches in no time.  THANKS AGAIN!

By the way, I did try the 10 lb batch using beef in place of the venison as practice for after deer season. This stuff is THE REAL DEAL!!!!  I'm an amature at this and I've gotten so many compliments on the flavor. Many say it's some of the best they've eaten (even compared to the private meat market-bought stuff) and much less fatty than the stuff you get at the store.

DonBo is right, 10 lbs is NOT enough.  But if you just want to give it a try, it's an easy and manageable-sized batch.  Another great thing is that this is a great base recipe - its simplicity lends itself to tweaking/adding ingredients to your liking. You can really even customize it down to the roll if you want to try a bunch of different things.  Next time I will be mixing in some jalepenos in some of it, maybe some hi-temp cheese in other rolls.  I would also like to try a little fresh garlic to see how much that punches up the flavor.

Thanks DonBo for sharing this!

Is Louisiana Cajun Salt a brand name?  I'm guessing Cajun powder is your standard store-bought Cajun seasoning?

Here are the exact brands originally used. Louisiana Cajun is very similar to Tony Cachere's. The Cajun blend was a way to add heat without adding more salt, but you could certainly sub in cayenne or more red pepper flakes, etc. It's more of a preference thing. And I'll second the idea that this is definitely a "base" recipe that should be experimented with! Cheese, garlic, jalapenos, etc. It's actually good just in bulk to fry up as patties for breakfast.

Seasonings.jpg

Edited by pikestabber

Funny, ive done this style before, I called them big fatties, its awsome that one dont need casings, why? ya dont eat them any way, ya cut it off and thro it away.  this is the way to go for summer sausage. Im gona try DB's recipe and tweek it a bit. I like sweet and savory cheesy style summer sausage, with a slight kick,  like adding some pine apple flavoring and srirach sauce. So im gona smoke a bunch of fatties! LOL!

Funny, ive done this style before, I called them big fatties, its awsome that one dont need casings, why? ya dont eat them any way, ya cut it off and thro it away.  this is the way to go for summer sausage. Im gona try DB's recipe and tweek it a bit. I like sweet and savory cheesy style summer sausage, with a slight kick,  like adding some pine apple flavoring and srirach sauce. So im gona smoke a bunch of fatties! LOL!

gotta wrap fattys in BACON.  :) :):) :) 

About time for me to do another batch of this as well!  My son's a bit of a picky eater and not a big fan of school lunch. This summer sausage accompanies him to school in some form probably twice a week, on average.  He has yet to complain! What little I have left will probably be consumed over the holidays Thanks again for the great recipe!

About time for me to do another batch of this as well!  My son's a bit of a picky eater and not a big fan of school lunch. This summer sausage accompanies him to school in some form probably twice a week, on average.  He has yet to complain! What little I have left will probably be consumed over the holidays Thanks again for the great recipe!

What the grand daughters call "munching meat". 

I just went looking for this thread because i saw it earlier today and knew I wanted to try it. Went back thru 30 pages of great recipes, ideas, and smoky goodness, and here it was on page 1. 

I sure don't regret going thru the 'archives' again though, more good stuff than I could eat in a year!

I'll be starting the smaller batch over the holidays for sure