• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ok, let's hear the stories good or bad and see some pictures. The season has officially started !!!

I opened the season on Bastic Bay, Lake of the Woods. There was a flock that was flying the creek at 6:15-6:25am for a couple days so I figured they were as good a target as any considering I had no decoys to deploy. 5:45 found me walking across the neighboring resort parking lot kayak on my shoulder and away we go. I was well clear of the resort and campers by legal shooting light and slowly working my way up the creek.... Had 4 pairs work up the creek from the lake well above tree top level at about 7:15am. By 7:30 I got happy feet and started back toward the main lake and the rice fields at the mouth of the bay. When I reached open water I found geese returning from their morning feeds about 1/2mile off shore. Bummed I headed back up the bay to get out of the kayak and track down a hot cup of coffee. At 9:30-9:45am as I am hoofing the kayak back across the parking lot... You guessed it, the flock of 12birds I had seen the previous two days flies down the creek at no more than 15' off the surface of the water. Snookered again....

That's why these early season goose hunts were established. To try and reduce the number of birds pounding the local parks and what not. 

For what it's worth MJ and I did not get to witness Molly's shooting demonstration today. We saw quite a few birds in the air, but we never fired a shot. I guess they didn't like the song we were singing. 

I'm depressed that I won't make it out this early season. Seems like plenty of honkers around...I just literally have zero time to scout. OH well...lots of season left. Gotta make time in October when the Canucks roll through.