• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is it worth it?

jmg

I finally got the OK today from my wife to buy a GLoomis GLX rod for walleye jig fishing.  She said she was tired of my buying a lot of rods and then complaining that they weren't the ones I wanted, too heavy, not sensitive enough, etc., etc. and then either taking them back or keeping them and griping about them. I fish up at Leech 2x/yr. with my brother and friends who have nothing but praise for their GLX rods and usually(but not always) outfish me by quite a wide margin.  However, now that I got the green light to get one, I am feeling guilty about pulling the trigger on one, since we need a lot of other things worse(probably always will) than another fishing rod.  Looking for honesty here-are they worth the money?  I have a GL2 that I bought in hopes of using as a jigging rod, though it's the lighter drop shot model, but haven't been impressed with the action and sensitivity for what I use it for.  IS there another higher end, but cheaper rod that is as good, strong, sensitive and light as the GLX?  When I have had the opportunity to use my brother's GLX, I have been amazed at the sensitivity and controlled tip action of his light action model.  Anyway, any thoughts, ideas would be greatly appreciated, since this may be my last shot at getting one.

Thanks for the input.  I have used their gloomis glx rods and loved them so I took Bobby Bass' advice and "pulled the trigger" late last night on one.  Hope It gets here before I go up to Leech in 2 wks. Ha!  Wouldn't that be ironic if it didn't arrive.  We'll see! 

Edited by jmg

This is mostly directed back to Bobby Bass.  Boy was I ever surprized when I arrived home from work today to find a nice tube from Cabelas at the front door.  Talk about service, the rod was shipped yest. (9/8) with reg. ground shipping and I got it today. Inside the tube, the rod was in a nice GLoomis  cloth carry bag, which was a lot different than the way the last other name rod I ordered arrived(in a very beat up, oversized rectangular box).  Anyway, the rod seems fabulous and I can't wait to use it.  Again, my wife said I should have gotten it 3 yrs. ago so I would've shut up about them.  Will dedicate the first walleye I catch with it to her and to Bobby Bass.

Good Fishin to all.:)

Well you put a smile on my face when I saw your post. I am sure you will get many good years out of your new rod and will be happy that you pulled the trigger. Sometimes you just need that little nudge to buy something because it is more then what you have paid in the past for something. I think as you get older in life you start to buy things that are going to be used for a long time not just for a season or two. A few years ago I bought a rod and reel set up that was over 500 bucks, I got a good price and saved about 200 dollars The 300.00 seemed like a lot of money at the time but now I am into season number four with it so in my math it only cost me 75.00 a year. ( that is what I told the wife) I hope to be fishing long enough with it that it is only going to cost me a few dollars a year!!

I totally get where the OP is coming from.  I struggle making the big purchases.  We are careful with our money and pay close attention to what items are wants and what items are needs.  It gets to be hard to spend money on the wants after being so careful but sometimes you just have to do it. When buying expensive equipment you have to look at home long you'll have it.  A rod like that could probably get passed down to your kids or grandkids if taken care of.  In that time how many cheaper rods would you have bought and replaced?  In the end you'll probably come out money ahead.  

One thing to keep in mind is that down the road when you are sitting in your rocker at the retirement home what will you remember most?  The fishing trips you took that rod on and all the fish you caught, or the fact that you had a little extra money in savings because you didn't buy the rod?  

When my wife and I spend money its usually on something that will create memories. Whether its a vacation or some item that allows us to enjoy an activity (like a fishing rod for example).  These things add to the quality of our lives and give us something to look forward to and something to look back on.  That's money well spent in my book.  Fancy cars, big tvs, or a large house probably won't create a whole lot of memories but something like a fishing rod can.

Edited by nofishfisherman

Thanks for all the words of wisdom from those who have "walked the walk".  Few years ago I was going to buy a new Gas Grill, after my mid priced grill started on fire and nearly became a serious incident.  I had always wanted to get a Weber Gas Grill, but didn't want to spend the money.  Really had enjoyed cooking on the one my friend up at Leech Lake had-ironically, the same one who promoted a GLoomis rod to me for so long.  Anyway, I posted an inquiry about the grill in a different area on HSO and got an interesting reply in which the person said that if you buy quality, you only cry once-at the time of purchase.  Have loved every meal cooked on the Weber.  Maybe I'm finally learning.  Now I have to pray for a grandson/granddaughter to pass the rod onto.:).

when it comes to trolling, casting cranks, i can go with a 40-50 dollar scheels, bps, cabelas, gander brand rod and be perfectly happy.   but when it comes to finess walleye fishing, i'll spend the money.  not 200-300 dollars but 100-160 bucks i'm happy.  there is a huge difference in effectivness for me.   my rigging/jigging rods are st croix avids and my vertical jig rods are eyecons.  i only have 2 of each and there is probably reason to have more but they work well. 

JMG, I would recommend you keep the tube the rod came in just in case something happens to the rod and you need to send it back for repair or replacement to GLoomis.  I have a number of GLoomis rods and friends of mine have broken them in the past so I needed to send them in for repair.  GLoomis will replace a broken rod for like $50.  Just sent one in last week after my sisters boy friend got the line caught in the motor and put the rod tip too close to the prop.

I had a Loomis rod that I picked-up used. 5-9 jigging worked go until I broke, then I found out it was a custom made rod. I bought a St.Croix avid 6-0 medium, loved it, now I used a6-3" avid for jig fishing, I have 5 more, that my clients can use on guide trips.  Several guys have said many times, "it's a mind thing. you what the rod and reel so bad, nothing will make you happy until you have it."  I also figured I could buy 2 avids for the price of 1 Loomis.

Yeah, Jigginjim, you're probably right.  The Avid is a very nice rod and I almost bought one-or 2, but we'll see.  Hope the one I bought is the charm for the rest of my jigging days.  If not, I'll know it's me and not the rod.

The other thing I did notice is the line you use can make a different. I started with fire-line, switched to 8-32 braid, I tried power pro It seemed to warp around the tip allot,  I'm going to checkout the nano lines. My company made several components for making nano lines.     

Edited by jigginjim

I love PP, but you do have to relax it every so often. You do this;  tie your line to a swivel that is attached to some thing that won't move. ( tree, or ??) [I have one  that hangs from a tree in my yard:)] Let the line out, then close the bail. Pull on the line five or six times, then lower it to the ground.Repeat this process seven or eight times. Then reel the line back on keeping a nice bow in your rod. Should make a
BIG difference for you. 

Here is the promised report after using the new rod.  It worked very well.  First 2 walleyes were 21" & 25" .  Caught several more smaller ones and  ended with a 24" yesterday. So far, so good.  Hope to use it a few more times yet this Fall.

I don't think it is a twist problem....  It is loops that come undone, like there wasn't enough tension on the line.   Then eventually there is a big snarl.  If I catch it early I can let off line to get rid of the loop (carefully).

Del. Line twist still may be part of the problem. I usually only have that problem when closing the bail, and not paying attention. I use braid on almost all my reels. Even my pan fish ones, unless I'm fishing deeper than 4 ft.,( that's as long of a flouro leader I will use) then I will switch to my spare spools of flouro.

Letting the line out behind a boat helps some, but after several discussions  here, it was determined that tieing the line to something solid with a swivel does a better job.