• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How much do you REALLY use your boat?

Ufatz

My 2013 Yamaha F70 has 435 hours on it now.  I do troll a fair amount and being that it is a tiller I sometimes don't shut it off when rigging/jigging in high winds. Based on the number of hours on my rig in less than 3 seasons, I would guess my dad's 2001 Mercury has well over 2,000.

A mechanic once told me the average person uses their boat motor about 5hrs a year. I was shocked but even though I start in April and do not finish till Nov, still only comes out to 8hrs a year.

I bought a pontoon at the cabin 8 years ago or so and had a Lund ProV.  I sold the ProV and use the pontoon walleye fishing a ton.  I'd laugh if I saw how many hours are on the motor since I rarely turn it off.  You gotta drive the pontoon like a launch captain does a big tub on Mille Lacs using the wind and the motor just right to stay on structure and there aren't very many longish drifts on our lake.  

I'd guess May - Sept 1 my motor runs 12 hours per weekend and we're up there half the weekends so that's about 120 hours a year?  

My old boat motor (2000 90 hp Honda) had an hour meter.  When I sold it in 2012 I had just over 750 hours on it.  I did use it to troll on Superior so that accounted for a fair amount of hours.  When we do our 5 day family camping trips up to Voyageurs Park I average about 130 miles a trip, but I run very little at WOT if at all.  The new 175 Verado likes its gas at WOT, LOL!! :grin:  

On Friday, April 01, 2016 at 4:14 PM, th64 said:

A mechanic once told me the average person uses their boat motor about 5hrs a year. I was shocked but even though I start in April and do not finish till Nov, still only comes out to 8hrs a year.

That would be a shock to my wife! I fish in mine just about every weekend up at the camper from May until Oct and most days will put in 5 hrs each day.

My boat is on the water an average of 15-20 hours every weekend for the last 6 years. I've probably missed 3 weekends total in the last 6 years from ice to ice.  And that doesn't take into account any weeklong trips I may take. I've put some serious time on the water.