• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

In line ice reels

aquafang

I'm a big fan of Eagle Claw's inline reel.  Been using it for two seasons so far and I really enjoy using it.  The free spool feature is excellent and the drag has been great for any fighting I've done so far.  Comparable to it would be the No. 8 CGi inline that debuted last season.  A friend of mine used it and it looked like it was holding its own as well.

+1 on both the 6061 Black Betty AND the No.8 CGI.  

I have been using the 6061 for 2 full seasons and picked up a No.8 to try last year.  They are essentially the same reel on the inside according to the guy I talked to in the 13 Fishing booth at the sportsmans show this spring.  The difference is that the 6061 is an all metal frame and the No.8 is a polymer frame.  There is a noticeable difference in the weight (both the reel and your pocketbook!) because of that.  To me, both have nice smooth drag systems and a very good free-spool.  I've tried the Eagle Claws and, at least for me, I think the No.8 would be a better way to go.  I will pick up another No.8 this year at the Blaine ice show.

I have 4 inline reels 2 # 8 -1 tony roach (Wright McGill) and the Eagle Claw Premium . When using a rod holder on the ice I had to  modify the  # 8's and the Wright McGill with a small brass loop at the reel to keep the wind from pulling line off the reel. No matter how tight I set the tension for the free spool on the Eagle Claw it would be in free spool so I had to add a extension to the brake mechanism. Are the drags iffy and need adjustment at times ?  - yes. If you lay them directly on the ice do they freeze up ? -  yes. If you are using the free spool function and not feathering the spool with a finger and the lure hits bottom or a Crappie swims it up will the spool keep spinning and give you a birds nest ? - yes . The main reason I like the in lines they are much easier for my arthritic fingers to use. You do have to pay more attention when using in lines but I still like them better then spinning reels. 

Oops is too late.

Tinker

I have used 13 reels with a lot of success. The Black Betty works very nice with 2lb test as long as you have the fender if you like to fish pistol grip style. I also use the 6061 with 6lb for my walleye rig. I have found the drag to be smooth and it works well in all conditions.

I like my inlines for panfish. not sure I love them for eyes yet... had some success on LTOW last year but also had some lack of power with them also... on a bigger fish this could be an issue.

Another vote, from me, on the 13 Fishing in-lines. I tried a bunch out last year, but the Black Betty and the 6061 took the cake for me. Just picked up a few more of the new 6061's for the upcoming season in fact.

The Black Betty is very reasonable for getting into the inline market, and was awesome in shallow water (less than 10 foot). I'd highly recommend buying the fender if you get an older model - the new ones come with it. Great addition IMO.

As I said, I tried a bunch but the 6061 was the cream of the crop. Just be careful, this thing is VERY smooth for an inline and will free spool the lightest of jigs with ease - so it can backlash. Once you get the hand of it though, you are golden. Plus the star drag is amazing for an inline reel - I only fish bluegills and crappies, but as you all know, you're bound to tie into something bigger from time to time and this awesome for that.