• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rib Rub

RebelSS

Just thawing a big batch of "country style" ribs out for tomorrow, in preparation for the overnite rib rub, and I don't think I've ever shared my old rib rub recipe on here. Came up with this in 1985, so says the date on it. (I date all my original recipes) Could never find a good rib rub; too many have way too much garlic, or one overpowering flavor, IMO. So... I came up with this.You can make it with or without the salt, I do it both ways. I prefer fine salt, as it mixes in better and also rubs into the meat better. It goes great on any meat, use it where you will. My buddy swears it's best on fish....but you haven't met my buddy. :whistle:

Reb's Rib Rub 

2 Tbsp fine salt

2 Tbsp Chili powder

2 Tbsp Paprika     (I like a good Hungarian)

2 Tbsp Onion powder

2 Tbsp brown sugar

1 Tbsp Garlic powder

1 Tbsp Coarse ground black pepper

1 Tbsp ground Cilantro

1 Tsp ground red pepper (or cayenne)

1 Tsp smoked Chipotle chile powder

1 Tsp ground Cumin

Combine all ingredients in a large glass bowl, or put in a dry ingredient type blender. I like to use a large pestle in the glass bowl, grinding and mixing. Pour into a shaker bottle that caps tightly. Enjoy!  :)

Edited by RebelSS

That looks like a great rub Reb!!!  I make up my own also [on my blog in the Smokin Hot page],  but I would try yours also.  Making your own is fun and more rewarding.  I think a lot of commercial ribs have more salt than needed.  good luck.

That looks like a great rub Reb!!!  I make up my own also [on my blog in the Smokin Hot page],  but I would try yours also.  Making your own is fun and more rewarding.  I think a lot of commercial ribs have more salt than needed.  good luck.

More salt is probably not needed since many ribs these days are injected with "a solution to enhance tenderness" and increase the weight.  Gee paying 4 bucks a pound for salt water. 

2 Tbsp of salt is not that much when mixed in an entire jar. That's only  approx 10-12% or less of the entire mixture. I've looked at some of the commercial rubs, and they are anywhere from 15-20% or more. Like stated, it depends on what I'm doing with it, I make it without salt too. I don't eat processed or fast foods, so I worry little about my salt intake. I won't buy those ribs or racks of ribs that "come in a solution of...". Mine are ALL fresh cut for me by my butcher buddy. I also really watch it when buying bacon.... But then, there are people that actually eat canned soup or the dry packaged soup mix...Yipe! Talk about sodium!! :eek:

Edited by RebelSS

There are many items that are injected with the sodium solution.  Lot's of your boneless chicken breasts are "enhanced".  If you buy corned beef it's enhanced ect.   Personally the "enhanced" pork doesn't bother me.  If I buy a pork butt for example or pork ribs I just don't use as much salt or any salt at all.  Most of that "enhancement" can be washed off anyway.  When you open a pack of baby backs for example {Hormel excample] you have some liquid there.  That's most of your enhancement right there.

The percentage of the enhancement is not that great.  It does make the meat more moist.  That's one reason it's there however the other reason is the profit margin.  For folks that have a problem with salt then there are products out there that do not have this.  In chicken it's mainly the boneless skinless breasts that have this.   I have a friend that buy's organic chicken breasts and then marinades them overnight.  I told them, congratulations you now have enhanced breasts LOL.  

If I see ribs on sale that are not enhanced sure I'll buy them but if they are 4.99 and I can get Hormel for 2.99 lb like they have on sale right now at Target, I'm stocking up  [baby backs and St. Louis ribs for 2.99 Target].  Going back tomorrow for more LOL.  I use enhanced pork butts for sausage also.  I just rinse them off, and they are good to go.  Good idea to rinse pork and chicken off anyway prior to use.  good luck.

Good points, reinhard. I thought I was the only one who washed all my chicken and pork off, regardless  :crazy:. Sodium is everywhere...know what the saltiest thing used to be (do they still have them?) at Mickey D's? The hot apple pies. Even pop has salt in it, to enhance flavor, which is what salt does. I believe if a person eats wisely and watches what they eat, rub away on those ribs! Can't take those away from us! :grin:

Ya those processed foods!!! That's what to look for really, or should I say not look for.  That's why I make my own sausage for one thing.  This is a good reason to make up your own rub like Reb has.  Doesn't take much effort and you can get bulk spices on line or larger containers at Sam's or Restaurant Depot Brooklyn Center.  Keep your spices in cool, dry places and well sealed.  good luck.