• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Charging Problems on Polaris 500 2002

reinhard1

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.  The Polaris 500 I have has been good with no problems.  It's a 2002 and I only use it for Ice fishing and hunting, so low miles for the year.  All the sudden the battery doesn't hold it's charge.  Have no problem starting it with the rope.  The fan keeps going also the whole time.  Thinking I need a new stator?  I bought a new Interstate battery for it.  Thanks good luck.

I would start with the battery first. Did a new battery reslove the issue?

I have had the battery go bad but still be able to pull start as well. I would replace it with a good quality AGM battery if the one you got isnt. Make sure to keep it charged and they will last a long time.

also if that doesnt solve the issues, there was also  big Polaris recall a few years ago for the ECM on many polaris models. You may want to get the vin# from your atv and consult your dealer to see. I think the 2002's were too early for the recall but it wont hurt to check.

Edited by rundrave

Thanks I'll check on the recall.  I went through 2 batteries.  Right now I have a Interstate battery.  A buddy of mine put on one of those deals that show the voltage output.  It was below what it should have been while the engine was running so this is why I think it's the charging system that's the problem.  I'm not much of a mechanic and that's why i was wondering if anyone else had this problem and that the stator was the culprit.  good luck.

Update for those who have a problem like this.  Turned out to be a bad rectifier.  The wires [conections] from the rectifier to the stator were corroded and one was broken.  Put in a new rectifier and problem solved.  Took me this long basicly because I'm not a mechanic.  I was told the rectifier was right near the radiator [which it was].  I looked everywhere I thought, until my buddy came over and took my front rack off.  there it was right on a support bracket for the radiator.  The bracket is black and so was this rectifier.  The new updated one is orange. So I was looking for some kind of orange rectifier.  Anyway, it's fixed and the system is charging once again.  I first thought it was the stator after looking at youtube stuff.  Could have been but not this time.  good luck.

I had a similar issue with my 2000 Polaris 500 but it was the starter... replaced it and all works as it should. Only issue now is the starter is not a Polaris (used aftermarket ) and it is so loud, but it still starts it... so hey Ideal with it the 3-4 times per year I use it.

Glad you got it going.  Not only this this fix my charging issues but all my front lights work also now.  Good idea to check connections all over with wires.  I'm no mechanic as I stated so I'm learning more about my ATV.  Now that all the panels are off I'm seeing zerks that I have never seen before to grease.  Checked my book [which I should have long ago] and seen where I need to grease.  I had only greased the zerks that were visible to me before.  I change the oil every year and now I am changing everything every year [transmission ect.].   My buddy is no trained mechanic, but he told me he learned stuff just by diving right in there and giving it a shot.  Me? I'm going to do the same, in the mean time I'm helping him out with sausage making LOL.  good luck.