• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gopher Football 2015

JBMasterAngler

The more I think about it the more I see this game as a no win situation for the Gophers. Even if they beat this Middle of the road MAC team by 30 points everyone will say they should have beat them by 50. If they would happen to lose to CM or if it is a close game, oh boy!

GOPHER NATION!!! Quick Lane bowl champions! Unfortunately I had to listen to the game on the radio, instead of being able to watch them break the losing streak on tv. Gopher fans showed how classy they are tonight by not rioting in dinky town ;) Should be the starting point for a very promising season next year.

Gophers were 5 point favorites, so they did cover the spread. The 5-7 teams complete the sweep in the bowl games!

What a sad, pathetic state that Minnesota fans must be in that they celebrate covering the spread against some bottom of the barrel D-1 school in a meaningless bowl game created for losers.  Only a 5pt favorite against Central Michigan?  Really?  Wow.  I'm sure the Big 10 conference is proud! LOL!!!

I suppose when you're a Minnesota sports fan it's the little things that matter when you can never achieve much more than a "Quick Lane" type of bowl game that they only got because another school had enough pride and common sense to deny the invitation.  

Gopher fans and the Big 10 should be ashamed.  Absolutely pathetic.

I've got to agree more with Limit and I'm a Gopher Alum.  I too "unfortunately" listened on the radio but had a TV at my full disposal and opted out.  Even the radio broadcast turned to white noise after a bit.  So many college players names are unknown that listening on the radio is hard to follow sometimes.  Gopher season two years ago was fun, this season wasn't.  

Yeah, I tease MN fans sometimes...well, a lot of times, but I'm being serious here.  This is not something to take pride in.  Gopher fans should be ashamed at this blatant disregard of school pride and need to stop falling for the worn out excuses about the money or extra playing time (which is complete bunk and everyone knows it).  By the way, is a win in the Quick Lane bowl really something you want to tout during a recruiting visit?  I don't think so.

Sure, there are way too many bowl games and I've been saying that for years, but that doesn't mean the institution is forced to accept the invitation.  The Big 10 has already tried to get the conference back on a successful path by prohibiting the members from scheduling the hyphenated schools but they should take another step by placing a floor on the number of wins before a school can participate in a bowl game...and it sure as heck shouldn't be five.  The program will never get better by giving rewards for mediocrity.  

So, what time is the parade?

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

It's not a reward for mediocrity. It's money in the Big 10s pocket, extra practices for the players and experience playing in a bowl game. I'm not ashamed nor should I be about the Gophers winning a bowl game. 

As long as it's a stepping stone to continued improvement, as a Gophers fan, I'm happy for them.

Figured most of the rodent faithful had just put their hearing protection on since they're taking shots from one guy that pimps a JV program and another that was delusional enough to think his team could compete at the pro level. Sad post all the way around.

I don't think us Minnesotans get it frankly.  We can have a traditional Power House hockey program and let them slip to a dumb level and never fire the coach.  We do it with everything.  Only consistant winner is the wrestling coach and all he's know for is having an opinion on Title 9 and speaking up.

We can't fire anyone because the AD screwed up big time so we don't want more turmoil so we accept mediocrity.  This coming from a guy who loved Kill and think Clays has some good intentions.  We stink

http://espn.go.com/college-football/recap?gameId=243660135

Had to include that here for Big Dave's benefit. ;)

Apparently times change. Programs are not on top forever or are they for that matter perpetually terrible. I have probably been a Gophers fan as long as most on these boards. I had the good fortune to be attending the U when Herbie was in his heyday and when Flip and Mychal Thompson were keeping the Barn rocking. I can even remember the Gophers being a football power up until the mid-60's. I got to see Tony Dungy play at Memorial Stadium and even though the Gophers weren't stellar at the time, they still played hard. Lately I've been happy to go to some games to cheer on the Gopher women's BB team as the young lady who grew up across the field from us starts for them. I've seen a lot of mediocrity over the years of course but remaining a loyal fan and not allowing how the Gopher's perform each and every time out to affect my attitude is all a part of that. And smack talkers can't take away the fond memories of those days. :)

How long has it been since the Twins won a World Series? Long time. Have the Vikings ever won a Super Bowl? Nope. Have T-Wolves ever won anything? Nope. Have the WIld won a Stanley Cup? Nope. Here's the thing though: They are our teams. You can suddenly jump on the bandwagon if they do win something, that's fine, there's room, or you can follow them and be happy when they win and not let it bother you when they lose. If people didn't do that, half the population of MN would've committed suicide by now. One thing about it, it is more special when the teams do win after going for long droughts. Ask a Red Sox fan how long it took or better yet, ask a Cubbies fan. Then you know what I'm talking about. 

8 hours ago, Bryce said:

Figured most of the rodent faithful had just put their hearing protection on since they're taking shots from one guy that pimps a JV program and another that was delusional enough to think his team could compete at the pro level. Sad post all the way around.

MN must be a JV program also?  Hey, they're not playing against the pros so they must be, right?

2 hours ago, JBMasterAngler said:

As a gopher fan, I have nothing to be ashamed of! 

That's because meaningless bowl games have been the ceiling for this team and you don't know any different.  

2 hours ago, JBMasterAngler said:

What benefit does any fan get in "boycotting" a game just because it's not the rose bowl?

Pride.  Something MN's have very little of when it comes to their sports programs.

Keep expecting chopped liver and you'll get chopped liver.

Eat up.

Limit, for someone who seems to demand a certain level or thinks your entitled to it why don't you demand that your favorite team move up to the top level instead of beating the likes of the Richmond Spiders  and other schools most people have never heard of on your way to another title game. I have nothing against NDSU its a nice school my nephew played football there and my niece was on the national championship softball team there, neither one goes on and on like you about the bison like you, they still follow them but they don't seem to need the attention you do.

Go back and look at some of your posts pictures of steam rollers etc, and we are supposed to take you seriously when you say something?

Carry on doing what you do here if that's what gives you enjoyment I guess

8 hours ago, swampman said:

Limit, for someone who seems to demand a certain level or thinks your entitled to it why don't you demand that your favorite team move up to the top level instead of beating the likes of the Richmond Spiders  and other schools most people have never heard of on your way to another title game. I have nothing against NDSU its a nice school my nephew played football there and my niece was on the national championship softball team there, neither one goes on and on like you about the bison like you, they still follow them but they don't seem to need the attention you do.

Go back and look at some of your posts pictures of steam rollers etc, and we are supposed to take you seriously when you say something?

Carry on doing what you do here if that's what gives you enjoyment I guess

That makes zero sense and illustrates a lack of knowledge about college FB, a lack of humor, and last but not least, an abundance of envy. 

21 hours ago, Rick said:

It's not a reward for mediocrity. It's money in the Big 10s pocket, extra practices for the players and experience playing in a bowl game. I'm not ashamed nor should I be about the Gophers winning a bowl game. 

As long as it's a stepping stone to continued improvement, as a Gophers fan, I'm happy for them.

The Gophers are lucky they are in the Big 10. If it weren't for the Big 10 picking up their travelling expenses, the Gophers would most likely lose money in a bowl game like this. Apparently that is exactly what happened to Central Michigan since the MAC doesn't reimburse their teams nearly as much as the Big 10.

21 hours ago, Bryce said:

and another that was delusional enough to think his team could compete at the pro level. 

Who is that?

19 hours ago, Dotch said:

Apparently times change. Programs are not on top forever or are they for that matter perpetually terrible. 

I would say 50 years of being terrible would count as perpetual.

19 hours ago, Dotch said:

How long has it been since the Twins won a World Series? Long time. Have the Vikings ever won a Super Bowl? Nope. Have T-Wolves ever won anything? Nope. Have the WIld won a Stanley Cup? 

We aren't talking about any of these sports in this discussion but.........

I've lived in this state since 1979 and at least I have seen 2 Twins World Championships, Many Vikings division championships and even a few conference championships. I couldn't care less about NBA basketball or Hockey.

In that time what have I seen the Gopher Football program accomplish?

4 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

I would say 50 years of being terrible would count as perpetual.

We aren't talking about any of these sports in this discussion but.........

I've lived in this state since 1979 and at least I have seen 2 Twins World Championships, Many Vikings division championships and even a few conference championships. I couldn't care less about NBA basketball or Hockey.

In that time what have I seen the Gopher Football program accomplish?

Well you're certainly entitled to your opinion which is exactly what your first line is.

Rickj has it right. The defense rests. If you've only lived here since 1979, you don't get it. That's MY OPINION. :D 

45 minutes ago, Dotch said:

If you've only lived here since 1979, you don't get it. That's MY OPINION. :D 

You're right, I don't get it. I don't get why people would accept 50 years of ineptitude and still consider themselves big fans of that program and not expect more. Where I come from, they fire coaches who don't produce conference championships at least, in the toughest football conference in the country. Here, people seem to be content with a momentary appearance at the bottom of the top 25 once every 5-10 years.

Since 1979, I've never seen the Gophers produce one meaningful season. I can't get on board with a program like that no matter how hard I try.

53 minutes ago, Dotch said:

Well you're certainly entitled to your opinion which is exactly what your first line is.

If 50 years does not constitute perpetuity, what does?

2 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

Where I come from, they fire coaches who don't produce conference championships at least, in the toughest football conference in the country.

Huh?  Belle Plaine's football is terrible and I don't think their conference is that tough with Cologne in it.

4 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

You're right, I don't get it. I don't get why people would accept 50 years of ineptitude and still consider themselves big fans of that program and not expect more. Where I come from, they fire coaches who don't produce conference championships at least, in the toughest football conference in the country. Here, people seem to be content with a momentary appearance at the bottom of the top 25 once every 5-10 years.

Since 1979, I've never seen the Gophers produce one meaningful season. I can't get on board with a program like that no matter how hard I try.

If 50 years does not constitute perpetuity, what does?

Yup, you're just a spoiled, fair weather fan. Thanks for reinforcing it. :D

3 minutes ago, leechlake said:

Huh?  Belle Plaine's football is terrible and I don't think their conference is that tough with Cologne in it.

You're wrong at least 4 times in one post. ;)

1. Belle Plaine is not where I am "from". I'm originally from a place a lot further south.

2. Belle Plaine football went to state this year, so I wouldn't consider that terrible.

3. Cologne does not even have a high school, only a charter school that serves K-8th grade.

4. There are no more conferences in HS football.

7 minutes ago, Dotch said:

Yup, you're just a spoiled, fair weather fan. Thanks for reinforcing it. :D

That doesn't even make sense??????:confused: