• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

German Gumbo

Ya, it's time for this again.  One of our favorite deer camp meals.  I had a friend who hated kraut until I had him try this.  Plain kraut is ok but plain kraut is not served in my house.  There is more to this recipe but I didn't have any of my smoked sausage left and I refuse to buy store bought sausage.  I have the German Gumbo recipe on my blog www.sausageheavenoutdoors .com in the recipe page with everything in it.  But this one is close to it.  I use ribs or chops for this.  I think it was Labsforme that had a great recipe for this also a couple of years ago but didn't have the bacon in it I believe.  I normally use beef broth in this also, but this time I tried beefy onion soup instead of the beef broth.  Really worked out great.  Of course the bacon is always important in a lot of recipe's, but it's the key ingredient to my German kraut.  [German kraut is also great as a topping to a grilled brat or polish].  Here are some pics:

IMG_2215.thumb.jpg.0cb1c4b87571670dc53a4

Assorted chops were on sale so I used them.  Just seasoned with garlic powder and black pepper.  No salt is needed for this recipe.  There is enough with the kraut and beef broth.

IMG_2217.thumb.jpg.837698cea3da8344f7ad3

Take the kraut [I use Franks refrigerated kraut found in the meat dept] and give it one rinse and drain.  Put it in a large pot with some black pepper and onions.  Used 5 bags of kraut and a couple f onions chopped up.

IMG_2218.thumb.jpg.a12215b21529c0fc3c035

Got the beefy onion soup mix nice and hot and ready.

11771_52fd256d91677.thumb.jpg.37512d8be1

The bacon has to be crunchy and brown before you put it in the gumbo.  Used two pounds fried in two pans.  After the kraut has simmered for about 15 minutes, drain the kraut ant put it back in the pot.  Then put the hot bacon and the grease in with the kraut and mix it all up.  That's German Kraut!!!

IMG_2219.thumb.jpg.42f8d262214dbab8d0572

I cut up some potatoes and some of my Smoked Canadian bacon and put them on the potatoes.  Put them in the oven at 350 until the potatoes were tender.  By then the chops were tender as well.

IMG_2223.thumb.jpg.205efd1f600a58958ef1a

After the potatoes and cops are tender I put the German kraut on top.  I also add some garlic to the beefy onion soup, which I pour over everything at this point.  I keep pouring until it comes to about an inch of the baking pan I'm using.  I used a big aluminum pan.  I put the pan back in the oven and let it back until things are simmering and the kraut starts to get a little brown on top.

IMG_2224.thumb.jpg.cf85c59bd3ca52880ff5a

My plate.  Pork was tender as a butchers heart.

IMG_2226.thumb.jpg.adff428bc26a3545a9041

Make sure you pour some of that broth over your meal.  That is really the key to the flavor.  All the flavors are in that broth.  Left overs for the next day.  good luck.

The probiotics found in kraut....  and his kimchi .....are now  all the rage. .... RH1 is a hipster trendsetter!!!  Yeah, that does look so good. .....and honestly, even if you are not a kraut lover.....there is something crazy good about cooking it up in that bacon fat. Have made something similar, but never with the beefy onion broth add on.....bet that is good and will definitely give that a go next time.

The probiotics found in kraut....  and his kimchi .....are now  all the rage. .... RH1 is a hipster trendsetter!!!  Yeah, that does look so good. .....and honestly, even if you are not a kraut lover.....there is something crazy good about cooking it up in that bacon fat. Have made something similar, but never with the beefy onion broth add on.....bet that is good and will definitely give that a go next time.

No probiotics left after you boil the kraut for 15 minutes and then bake.  But it is a good excuse.