• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sumac Tea

no, dont mash.  put in a container you can put a lid on.  Then just shake it a half dozen times or so over 12 hours or more. it's really good.  When done run thru a wire screen sifter.( i have used a cut up t shirt when I couldn't find it... lol) let it settle a few minutes and pour slowly into another container. the sediment settles nice. the pics show the color for the strength I like. hoping to go pick a bunch of sumac today and store a bit. 

824a.jpg

824b.jpg

found out I can freeze a buncha buds so went and grabbed a bunch.  Found bonus grapes also with a tip from a friend. :) 

sumac is really prime right now. the funnest part is licking my palm after picking a bunch. I swear it tastes like sweet tarts. Tea does also but not as strong. 

824c.jpg

"the funnest part is licking my palm after picking a bunch. I swear it tastes like sweet tarts."

Uhh...you sure that's  SUMAC yer lickin'? Not a Cane Toad or anything?!  See any white rabbits with vests and pocket watches? Sorry, I just had to.  :lol:

I actually had to go read up on it after your post...amazing! See! I learned something today! :crazy:

http://www.healing-from-home-remedies.com/sumac-tea.html

Edited by RebelSS

I dont weed out the chaff.  I have not made tea from the seeds only but it will work fine. Might need to skim off the top. the heavy stuff sink to bottom.  Buddy does his from seeds. I have only made it from the buds.  Wanted to get a bunch for later in the year so did this and then transferred to quart baggies and put in the freezer. I havn't done this much at once so this is fun.  I like the tea straight but really good with a little amaretto... ;)   some might want a little sweetener added. 

Last year started separating the berries as well. There are often lots of little critters and egg sack weby things intertwined in the berries, and by doing this allows you to get more it them/it out. When picking I try to take the looser/ dryer fronds as they seem to be less "buggy". Suppose with a fan and a screen,, you could blow out a lot of the chaff and stuff.... but ....tell myself it just adds a complexity to the flavour.....lol. And yep, the tea does make a mighty fine set up ;)

did a test with the seeds.  1 cup seeds in the jar for about 4 hours.  worked ok but lotta chaff so strained the tea thru a dishtowel for the last step.  lots less freezer space used. didnt take any bugs out so if they were in there they are part of the tea :)

826m.jpg

826n.jpg