• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

39" Buffalo - What's It Weigh?

JIvers

I caught this 39" Buffalo (not sure which species) out of the Mississippi River below the Quad Cities in Iowa/Illinois last weekend. It hit a crawler I was fishing above a wing dam, and took about fifteen minutes to boat. Fighting-wise it reminded me of the few large steelhead I have caught more than anything else. :grin:

It taped out to about 39"; below are the best pictures I was able to get under the circumstances. I am guessing a carp length-to-weight ratio chart would give me a good enough idea of what this fish weighed. Does anyone have one handy?

8-8-2015  Fairport 39 Buffalo A.JPG

8-8-2015 Fairport 39 Buffalo B.JPG

8-8-2015 Fairport 39 Buffalo D.JPG

this is a bigmouth buffalo and they are native to our waters- entirely different species and family from all the carps, which are in the minnow familyy

buffs are in the sucker family, but the bigmouths are filter feeders like bighead and silver carp

tMsHyWh.jpg

Edited by Stick500
wrong pic

I did some poking around, and based on the pictures I found my fish in the OP does look more like an Asian black carp than anything else. It does not look like the grass carp commonly stocked in public ponds around here.

I assumed it was some kind of buffalo because it did not have any sort of barbels, so I knew even before I boated it that it was not a common carp. I knew a black Asian carp existed but could not have identified one if it was laying right at my feet...which this one was. :cool: