Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

marine batteries

16 posts in this topic

In the boat I bought, It had 2 Stowaway dual purpose marine batteries. I'm looking to find some new ones. Do you think its better to have the dual purpose? I hook up all but a few accessories to the cranking battery. Should this make a difference in my choice? Is there a such thing as a bad battery brand? what are the ones to stay away from? I'm just wondering if the stowaway tournament series dual purpose batteries are worth sticking with. I got the batteries with the boat, so i'm really not sure how well they performed.

I have never had much luck with stowaways. (being kind) The battery I have had the most luck with is the Delco Voyager Group 31 premium deep cycle. This is the largest size so your batt tray might not fit it. I have been using this battey for around 8 years. I have never had one last less than 4 full seasons.I start them out as my electronic's batt when new. Then I move it to the starting batt position. I have used dual purpose batts before as my starting batt and never got 2 seasons out of them. The one I am using as my starting batt know has lasted 5 seasons and I think it may go one more. Also I take one up to my fishhouse on mille lacs. I have never run one dry in a weekend. And I have a 13" color VCR TV and small fans running most the time. This year I left the batts in the boat (4 of them) and used the 2 group 27 minkota batts I bought new this year that I used in my camper. Every weekend I ran both of them dead. Not impressed. I have turned others on to the Delco and the have exclent results also. They can be got for about $90.00 at Battery City in Mpls. K mart used to carry them but they switched to Champion.If anybody else know other places this battery can be bought from please post it.

Biggins I just picked up 2 Trojan SCS225's for my trolling motor batteries I've never run these before so I don't know if there as good as all the press they get. I to have all the accessories run off my cranks I have 2 Delco 27 series in parallel and they are going on there 4th season and still hold there charge.I had walmart extremes in the boat previously but I stuck them in the fishouse and just left them in there 3 seasons use and one was still strong the other was starting to fail.
Mike

the biggest thing is to go with a deep cycle bat. keep both of them the same. what is the exact purpose the bat. will be doing? good luck and drill'er deep.

C&R~~~~>')))))><

what about those evertroll batery i use my trolling motor on my jon boat when i duck hunt and i wanted to know if they were all there cracked up to be

I've had excellent luck with my Interstates, 2 deep cylce and 1 cranking, there going on the 4 year with lots of use.

I am in the market for a new trolling battery and would also like to hear some information on the evertroll. They seem expensive, but I would like to know if they are worth the cost. I can't find much information about them on the internet.

I bought my first boat last fall that came with a Neptune trolling motor, 24 volt, that mounts to the large outboard. I have no batteries and don't expect to use it much but if you have stuff you might as well use it, right? Advice on battery brand and wiring options would be appreciated. There is no greater group of experts on this topic that you on FM. Thanks in advance,
Kevin

I to would like some imput on the Evertroll. I can't bring myself to spend the $ To find out about performance and longevity. I rigged a boat for In-Fish with 2 Evertrolls and both failed. They are light weight compared to typical wet cells, but if weight is not a concern (as in smaller boats) I can't seem to justify the cost. I use Trolling Thunder troll batts and Over all I'm very happy with there performance.

I hope the lack of available information on Evertroll is not a statement of user satisfaction. I would think if someone spent that much money on a battery and it worked good for them, that they would be willing if not anxious to tell others about it. Owners, let us hear from you either way.

Good topic. I need to replace a couple batteries myself. I have been using Nautalus batteries and had one go bad afer the second season. One is still going strong. Any advice on a good starting battery as well?
Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Mykal (edited 03-26-2003).]

This year I installed the new Dual Pro Batteries. These babies were not cheap but was told they would save money in the long run. They have a good warranty and are said to last for over 400 charges as compared to the average deep cycle that is done at about 100.
I have used them some this year and so far I have noticed longer life.
So far so good but will they stand up to the test of time. I have yet to find that out. I am just going on what reps from the various companies have told me.

Has any one had any experience with these batteries?

Is aright to run electronics, lights, livewell ect. on the motor's cranking batt or is it better to have a seperate one?
I have three batt in my boat
-one just for cranking -
-deep cycle for electronics ect.
-another deep cycle for a trolling motor.
I am looking to buy a new 24v trolling motor and want to take the electronics one and use it for the 24v trolling motor to avoid buying a forth batt.
what do you suggest or how are your boats rigged

moby I have 2 batteries paralleled together producing 12 volts for my cranking batteries which I run all the boat accessories from and 2 batteries in series producing 24 volts for my trolling motor

Moby. Its best to get a dual purpose (DP) battery if your going to be running anything off the starting battery. Starting batteries are not meant to be discharged and will eventually ruin them.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
651-271-5459
www.millelacsguideservice.com

i run a small trolling motor in my 14' alum. boat. can i run lights off this as well? use the lights very infrequently) what is best way to permanently rig bow/stern lights in an aluminum boat??? anyone?