• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fossil Finds from Green River Formation

The fish are knightia fish and Diplomystus fish out of the Green River Formation in southern WY. They are right around 50 million years old. Google Green River Formation and you will learn a ton. Cool stuff!!

The sedimentary rocks in Minnesota are way older than 50 million years.  More like 500 million years, so we get trilobites and crinoids instead of fish. 

Fish are much cooler than brachiopods and bryozoa. 

Edited by delcecchi

Lol....plus all those fancy prehistoric fish look really boney. Any YouTube vids on how to fillet out the y bone? 

Did do a little googling on the formation .....and an insane amount of oil locked up in there....if they can ever figure out how to extract it.

Edited by pushbutton

Smoke 'em if you got 'em, Push. That'll make those bones disappear.

I found seashelly-looking things a few hundred feet up from the shore of Lake Superior this afternoon. Maybe not that far, but far enough to be too far for a big wave.  Not quite as interesting as a bony fish or Del's crinoids, whatever those are, but fun to think about how they got there, a bit like Jefferson discussing seashells on the tops of Virginia mountains (about all the history/geology I know). 

I really should learn more about this stuff, especially since I'm down in the Driftless quite often, stalking your fungi, trout, and smallmouth.   I find a lot of fossils completely by accident, too, though apart from the cephalopods (which I had ID'd by a geologist friend of mine), I know nothing about them.  Pretty cool stuff.