• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I have a reinstallation DVD for windows 7 home premium from a Dell Inspiron.  You are welcome to borrow it if you would like.  I don't know if it is in any way hardware specific.  I also have the disk of drivers and misc stuff. 

I got this from Dell the last time my hard disk died.  They had a run of bad luck with samsung disks.  The last replacement was a seagate that didn't have the OS already loaded so they gave me the disk.  

PM or whatever an address, or send me mail at [email protected] if you want to try it. 

I did a windows 10 download on two lap tops and it went just fine. didn't lose a thing. first computer I used the wrong pass word for the router and it would not connect. tried to get the window to enter the new pass word, but no way. So I went back to 8.1 and I got the log in screen and it was just fine, so I reloaded 10! would not log on to the router and gave me the same answer as before, so I'm back to 8.1. the other computer works just fine with 10. Pretty simply but took maybe 2 1/2 hrs. I had installed a new router so thats why I had to log on to the WiFi.

now windows 10 just switched to windows 10 home, again it took about 90 minutes to update, but now everything works the way it should.

except I keep getting a message that it cannot connect to netgear genie, my router is a netgear? but it seems to be working fine. maybe the genie is something all together different, I am not sure.

NETGEAR genie makes getting the most out of your home network fun & easy. More than six million downloads of the genie App lets users easily monitor, connect & control their home network from a PC, Mac, tablet or smartphone. With NETGEAR genie you can share & stream music or videos, diagnose & repair network issues, set up parental controls & more. Download NETGEAR genie based on your device or the user manual below.

On 12/13/2015 at 3:50 PM, Kidd said:

I upgraded to 10 only to find out that my Intel WiDi is incompatible and no word on when 10 will support the App. Had to  Backout and reload 7 and it worked as advertised..  

I went to intel page and they claim it works under 10.  I even downloaded the compatibility tool and it said other than me not having some software, my system is compatible.  You mean to tell me Intel is not being truthful?

WiDi sounds like a Chromecast in drag.  Is that what it is?  

Edited by delcecchi

Yeah, WiDi is simply a streaming App like Chromecast from your laptop to the TV.  I use it often either for streaming movies or music or just sharing whats on my screen for multiple people to view.  The last thing I read was Intel was going to upgrade the app but you would need to purchase the upgrade.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll visit the Intel page and check it out.  Maybe it's fixed.

I finally gave in and upgraded to Windows 10 on my ASUS laptop that came with Windows 8. So far I am impressed, no problems. Well there was one, the keypad gestures thing wasn't working but I just went to add/remove programs and clicked ASUS Keypad Gestures or whatever it is called and clicked "repair" and that fixed the problem. Other than that, everything seems to be running as well as it ever was. For now at least.....

I hate windows 10 and the edge browser. my newer computer and of course now all come with windows 10, everything seems to be hard to find or operate. Today for the first time on this machine, I loaded a music CD to listen to while on the net, and oh my god what a choir that was. it literally took me close to 20 minutes to figure how to play the CD that was put in. finally I found some window to open it, and start it.

today I hooked up a new router, I tried to open the router page and setting, and kept getting a search for sites how to open it, I finally got it to open, but had to use the old browser to do it, the edge browser is a joke.

finally I am listening to some system of a down.?

it sucks I have to sit hear and do this, since its to cold to go ride my sled. theres a chance  I can get out to ride sometime next month, hopefully next weekend. I feel sorry for you having to learn 10. but there is some good things about it, overall its good, just hard to navigate.

OK I found power media player, so maybe its good.

I just would like it to be a easy find, instead of me racking my head against the wall. megadeth  sounds good on this system.

Edited by knoppers

14 hours ago, knoppers said:

I hate windows 10 and the edge browser. my newer computer and of course now all come with windows 10, everything seems to be hard to find or operate. Today for the first time on this machine, I loaded a music CD to listen to while on the net, and oh my god what a choir that was. it literally took me close to 20 minutes to figure how to play the CD that was put in. finally I found some window to open it, and start it.

today I hooked up a new router, I tried to open the router page and setting, and kept getting a search for sites how to open it, I finally got it to open, but had to use the old browser to do it, the edge browser is a joke.

finally I am listening to some system of a down.?

No offense meant here because I probably understand computers and technology less than anyone here but if you are still listening to music on CD's, that may be part of the problem.......?

6 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

No offense meant here because I probably understand computers and technology less than anyone here but if you are still listening to music on CD's, that may be part of the problem.......?

lets just say, they have been laying around for awhile.?

Learning curve. With every new system we go through them. Windows 10 is laid out quite a bit different from Windows 7. Remember how difficult it was when Windows 8 first appeared? Now that I'm starting to get accustomed to Windows 10 in the two months that I've had it at home, I find it is not that difficult anymore. We have to learn to adapt to change. 

If you want the Windows 7 layout to Windows 10, you can download a theme called ClassicShell at their site .net

Its handy for people that just panic when they see the Windows 10 interface.

Edited by MN Mike