• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Has anyone upgraded their systems to Windows 10 yet? I was going to upgrade my Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10, but I figured I would wait for some positive reviews. Since it is my work computer.

I'm waiting a bit as well but I'm anxious to see/use the new "desktop" that everyone is talking about which brings back more Win7 feel.

Virtual desktop/Task View looks interesting too.

I upgraded all three of our laptops at home over the weekend. I think Microsoft finally got it all figured out. The upgrade was smooth and painless. Everything worked after it was done. No more windows 8 for us. No more tiles. Windows 10 has been been working just fine. The wife and kid seem to like it. I haven't done a ton on them but have no complaints. I do like it better than 8.

just upgraded today, it took about 70 minutes. so far it is fine, I did have to reload all my favorite sites into my favorites like this page, and re-login to them all. but so far, it does seem better.

I installed Windows 10 3 weeks ago. I do like it much better than 7 or 8. Great to have the start bar back and the annoying settings bar at the right side of the screen gone.

Did find a couple of things that do not work well. I use an external wireless mouse. I can disable the internal mouse OK, but every time I re-boot it clears the setting. Also the auto hide feature on the start up bar does not work well. Most of the time it will not hide when using Edge.

All in All, its a great improvement.

I updated my desktop earlier this week and it was a painless task.  Might be worth the few extra seconds to opt out of the "express setup" and select whether you want Windows to report data back to MS or arrange your media for you.  I opted "no" on everything.   

It took about an hour or so to download and install so when you click the "go" button find something else to do.  The setup itself takes a minute and then you're back in the saddle again with all of your previous settings and files are right where you left them.  Desktop icons, system settings...all untouched.  

It's nice to have a Start menu again, albeit not the same as Win 7, it is leaps and bounds better than Win 8.  

Overall I'd have to say:

ed9e649553bdfd305987604192fbcb6d-2431.jp 

I upgraded on from windows 7 and it went OK.  Had a video card driver issue and a PITA trying to find a windows 10 compatible driver.

My daughter just did hers and the new browser seems to have some issues with certain web apps like citrix.

I am hesitant to upgrade systems like this anymore. Seems to me that I always have more problems after the upgrade than before. I already have the start bar back so I don't see a real good reason to chance the upgrade. I upgraded to the new Android system on my phone and it was the worst thing I could have ever done.

I upgraded one of my laptops and I'm happy with it functionality-wise.  That laptop happens to be the cheapo that I bought from a guy for almost free as a "travel" laptop.  It was cheap because it won't take more than 2 gigs of ram, and win7 works terribly with that much ram.  Win 10 works LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than win7 on low-ram systems, and it's even better/faster than the linux I had been running on it.

As for my main laptop, I'm still on win7.  Nothing specific keeping me back, just want two options around here.

As for the new browser -- I've just avoided that 'edge' thing and continued using chrome anyway.  So, no difference there for me.

I upgraded mine a week ago, and I would say it's ok. I had windows 7pro on this laptop, and I liked it, but wanted to try Windows 10, well other then my tap to click, and the scroll feature on the mouse pad not working at all, it seems ok. Doing a Google search it sounds as though a lot of others are having the same issue as me, with no fix known. 

Ha Ha....  It worked great.  I just updated to Windows 10.  They wore me down with all of the pop ups about it.  I finally did it and so far it worked great.  I even have all of my favorites up on my favorites bar and I was even still logged in on this page.  I had to set google chrome as my default so as to not have bing or edge.  Once I did that my Outlook page had all of my previous favorites just like before.  I am not bad on a computer but no geek by any means so I am happy that I got it done without having some kid help me.  :-).  

My wife and I hit the download Windows 10 at the same time.  It was slow as heck, I mean hours and hours.  I wonder if by us both doing it slowed us down.  We have DSL through Century Link too.

She finally hit stop download and mine got done and she is starting over this morning.  At least I am up and running..  :D

OK, after a few months, I wish I would have never upgraded to 10. maybe its just the free upgrade, hopefully anything new won't be like the upgrade.

every now and then when I turn on my computer, it comes up with a different screen, and basically I have to shut it down, and turn it back on to get to my normal screen.

there is a section on 10 that you click to get your e-mail, but this also works very bad. it will start up, then shut down? sometimes I have to click it up to 8 times to stay on. its not just me, others have had the same issue.

don't do the free upgrade, hopefully any new system, this will not be a issue.

Is there a way to revert back to windows 8 if I don't like it? I've never had good luck with upgrades like this.

if you hhave a good backp, or a ssystem image of the current state of the machine, should be doable.  

Now, ccan I get it to stop nagging me to upgrade?

who wants $250?  Microsoft?

how computer savvy are you?  Because it's pretty easy to get a legit copy of a windows 7 home premium downloaded and then burn it onto a disk yourself.   But it requires using peer to peer downloading using a torrent service and stuff like MD5 checksums to make sure your download is legit.  Then you can use the product key that's on a sticker on your computer.

Edited by bobbymalone