• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Should I upgrade, silly question I know:)

perchking

I can say I had the LX5 and bought the lx7 and latter upgraded to the lx9. During that time I still owned my lx5. The 7 and 9 are both great units but bulky. Last year I wanted to make a change because I was bored with my LX5 so I sold it and bought an ICE 55. I found myself using the ICE55 more then my lx9. I'm not saying that the 55 is better then the lx9 or even the lx5 for that matter I just found myself wanting to use it more I'm sure it was because it was new to me.

I think if I was to do it over I would look at the lx6 for its smaller size. When I bought the lx9 I thought it would be great to always have the camera with me because before I wouldn't think I would needed it and leave it at home then find I wish I would have brought it. The lx9 is just so big with the camera and then there's always the what if the flasher quits then your out a camera too or vise versa.

95% of my fishing is from my wheelhouse so bulky isnt an issue, but thanks for the reply.  My lake is very stained so I really am not looking for a camera.  I think I have my mind made that I will upgrade to the 7.  I think I will also keep my 5 as a backup...

The same model you have might have been changed by Marcum. So maybe all you want is a new 5. I use Vexilars and I went from using Fl18 to using an Fl8. It does what I need, if there is a fish down there it shows up. I sightfish shallow 80% of the time and they all work OK for that. If a person fishes Lakers you might want really deep capabilities otherwise simple will probably be fine. Good luck.

I upgraded to an LX7 from both an ICE 55 and LX5.. no regrets.

I like it so much that the LX7 pulls two shifts - it's on my boat during the summer.

I agree it is bulky (I really liked how my old FL8 and my ICE55 drop in a 5 gallon pail), but the resolution you get with it and the learning offsets in my mind.

Case in point - fishing on LOW last winter, the fish were really coming in tight to the bottom.  I was fishing with guys with ICE55's and FL8's and unless they watched their screens 100% of the time, they wouldn't see the fish come in (and there for, not aggressively work it, which is what it took that weekend).  On the LX7, in the chart mode, zoomed on the bottom, I could glance down from time to time and see a little "notch" or rising in the bottom over time, dropped my lure right on top and got the fish jigged off the bottom - much to the frustration of the others in the house.

marine_man

have a 5 and a 6 and i'll be honest, i prefer the 5.  both are awesome.  its probably more a comfort thing, but if i had to catch a fish, i would grab the lx5 off the shelf.  that i assume will change eventually.

Great feedback everyone, I cant wait to get it.  I wonder if I will miss the spinning of the flasher noise?  For the past 15 years, I have enjoyed that joyous sounds, when I need a fix I guess I will just turn on the LX5:)

The 7 has a flasher "view," and you can always make the noise yourself! :lol:  Love my 6.  Especially the ability to have 2 different views on the screen.  I usually run with the vertical zoomed, and the chart non-zoomed.