• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chicken Bombs

Well that's what I call them anyway.  Boneless chicken breasts stuffed with jalapeno peppers and cream cheese.  I can make them hotter also adding some hot pepper flakes to some along with my rub.  The jalapeno peppers usually mellow out anyway because you have to simmer them in water until they get tender.  I take the peppers and cut them in half length wise and take the seeds out and then put them in simmering water until tender.  If you don't the breast will be done before the peppers leaving you with still a slightly crunchy pepper half.  I have different bombs on my page in the Recipe page www.sausageheavenoutdoors.com.  This time around the breasts were larger than normal.  I normally butterfly them and then separate them into two slices.  Plus I pound them thinner with my handy cleaver.  But this time I just pounded each half until I got them where I wanted them.  I season the breasts with my rub, put a half slice of jalapeno on it [some of them got two],  and then put a gob of cream cheese in it.  Roll it up and put a couple of slices of bacon around them.  Used tooth picks to keep everything together.  I like doing this in the smoker but I was short on time so on the grill they went.  Half the time on indirect and the other half on the top rack over direct heat.  When the bacon got nice and brown I slap on my sauce on them.  Call my sauce Reinhard Caught A Buzz sauce LOL.  You can see that sauce on my page as well.  My page is just my personal blog/page.  I don't sell anything on it nor is there any advertising.  Just a retired guy's hobby.  It helps me when I mention it at times so I don't have to repeat stuff when asked.  So here are a few pics: good luck.

IMG_2091.jpg

IMG_2092.jpg

IMG_2093.jpg

IMG_2097.jpg

IMG_2098.jpg

IMG_2100.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

Thanks everyone!!  I've been a butcher for over 35 years for those that don't know me.  I've been asked to come back to work to cover vacations at times.  So due to my having a pension I can only work 8 days a month or 64 hours.  So I said sure and that has been fun so far.  I've always liked making sausage and of course I still do.  All year long for that matter.  Most of it I give away to family and friends.  I have cooked all my life, learning from my mom.  Always like learning new stuff.  This is why I like this format.  I can put out something and maybe someone can pick up on that and then I can learn stuff from someone else like I did with Thirdeye.  My wife and daughters told me to put my stuff on record on my own blog so I did.  I've only had it for a little over a year now.  Helps me keep my recipe's and stuff stored instead of writing everything in notebooks like I have been doing.  Still not the computer geek I want to be but I'm slowly getting there.  Want to make some video's also.   So I hope we all share on here our recipe's and pics.  If anyone has any questions just ask here on this forum.  good luck.

Leech,  Nice to see you again.  We will have to have  a Grindstone get-together next year come trout hard water season.  Lindell,  There are a ton on potato or swedish recipe's out there.  This is one sausage I want to get right.  I have made it and it taste ok, but not where I want it.  Yes the seasoning is out there but it's not the seasoning, it's the whole process.  The amount of beef, pork, onions, and potatoes are very important.  I will make another batch come early fall and I will post the whole recipe.  I'm my worst critic I guess.  There was a swedish sausage we made years ago when I worked in a meat market [long time ago].  It was the best ever, and I haven't made anything like that yet.  My family liked the last batch I made but it just had something missing for me.  I think the key was the amount of allspice.  So I'm going to make a small amount like 10 pounds and tweek it again and see what happens.  Then I will share it.  good luck.

Reinhard,

as a Swedish guy I have watched my grandmother and parents make potato sausage every Christmas for years.  I've also made it myself and every batch seems to be just a little different and yes we usually question the all spice or some times the amount of salt.  Due to that fact at Christmas we put all spice in a pepper grinder and for those who want more all spice they can have at it.   If your interested here is my Grandmother, Minnie Martinson's Potato Sausage recipe she brought over from Ingelstorp, Sweden, she was born in 1888:

2 pound of ground beef

1 pound ground pork

10 pounds peeled potatoes

2 medium onions

1 heaping tablespoon of crushed all spice

2 T Salt

1 T pepper

Obviously put it all through the grinder, stuff, and boil.  Also you have to have home made cranberry relish with it.

Thanks LeechLake!!!!!  This is close to how I have made it.  I do use more black pepper, but that's personal taste.  I really appreciate you posting this recipe especially the importance of using fresh ground allspice.   Cranberry relish sounds good also.  I usually have it with my German kraut with bacon and dumplings ect.  German thing LOL.  Using 32mmto 35mm hog casings is something I have been using also.  Back in the day we used beef casings.  Made for some big rings.  Thanks again for posting this and I think you cant go wrong with y our grandmothers recipe.  I have been using pre cooked potatoes.  Is that what you have been using? thanks good luck.

My folks used sheep casings but now that my dad's 85 he uses what we get him (with some complaints) which is usually hog casings.   The potatoes and everything is ground together raw.   When you stuff it, which is the art to it so it doesn't blow up, you leave it pretty loose, also don't tie the ends just leave 4 inches or so unstuffed.  Lay it out and every 6 inches or so polk it with a pin and then it is boiled for about 30 minutes.  Cool it and then it is used over the next week or so.  On Christmas Eve we put it in the oven til browned, you can also fry it up in a pan for smaller meals.

I've never understood why some family members, especially the new ones, think they are eating blood sausage or something.  For heavens sake its glorified hash, who doesn't like that.

Sheep casings make for smaller diameter links or rings but that is something in Europe that I noticed even in bratwurst.  They love thinner links.  I use the 32 or 35 mm hog casings.  I also leave a couple of inches or so of the link unstuffed so I can tie them together to make a ring.  Using raw potatoes are fine.  The only thing with that is that the potatoes can get dark in color but doesn't hurt anything.  This is why I use pre cooked potatoes.  Like you say with family members on trying things, those dark potatoes do not look appetizing to them.  The salt turns the potatoes dark [raw ones].  Bottom line is that your recipe is a good one and should be used.  We all tweek recipe's all the time to our liking. Mine being more pepper.  Allspice is the key and using fresh ground allspice like you stated is a must.  good luck.

I hear you brother.  What would be entertaining is to have anyone, even a seasoned butcher, tell my dad that.  It would be some entertaining conversation at the Walker Legion Club.

It took us years to let us help him using electric equipment.  It was always a hand grinder and stuffing the casings using a bull horn with the casing on the end.  While I appreciate using Old School tactics as part of the experience it took forever compared to an electric grinder and stuffer.  However, not doing it the old fashioned way takes away from a Major part of the experience and tradition.   Sometimes us "young" folks miss that compared to our elders.  Food is about being with others more than what the food tastes like at the end of the day, in many instances.

I'm very old school.  I also have a hand grinder I use for smaller batches.  Works just fine and less clean up.  But larger batches are sure better with the electric grinder and the vertical stuffer.  One thing I always tell people that start out with sausage is to get a vertical stuffer instead of stuffing out of a grinder.  To me  the old school way of using recipe's like your grandma is what carry's on tradition and memories of when your grandma was still around.  Enjoying what she made in years past, that can be carried on for generations..  good luck.

Made these this past weekend.

The only thing I did different was wrap bacon over the ends as well to better keep the cheese inside, and drizzled some spicy Sechuan sauce over them befpre grilling.

Turned out awesome and with a nice spicy bite !!!!

Thanks for the idea !!!