• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

need advice on laptop

Hey was wondering if someone can steer me in the right direction on a new lap top for the kid for school. Be his first year at college and needs gets something that will be best for him for school and last a few years. Not looking to break the bank but will spend some money on something that not junk. thanks for your help

Hello, my son is in his second year at NAU.  I bought him a Leveno laptop and a 1 terabyte back up hard drive.  If you look around, do the student discount programs you can get a decent machine pretty discounted.  Also look at the school you child is attending to see if they have an programs, most do.  I only use mac machines but if you don't want to spend 1200 bucks then go with the PC based machine.  Also your child needs to be comfortable with the unit.  My wife has a work machine that uses a button in the center of the keyboard to control the pointer, it is the hardest thing i have ever had to work with.  Dell, Lenovo, Apple, HP, all of the mfg offer school discounts.  Just search their page for education discounts.  Good Luck.  

Pretty hard to recommend something without knowing a bit more.  If he is also going to using it for gaming to pass the time, needs something a bit higher end. Most plain apps will run on any mid level laptop as long as it isn't a reduced processing capabilty like celeron.  I would also go with at least 8 gig of ram.

As fast as you can afford with as much RAM as you can get. Get as big a hard drive as you can get and getting an external hard drive is a great idea so he can backup his files and have a copy in case anything goes wrong with it. Most Laptops in the $500 range should be able to handle a college workload. I've been in IT for 20 years and don't spend more than that on mine.