• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2002 Ford Explorer MAF sensor

I have a 2002 explorer V6 4.0 liter and it died on me yesterday driving down the road. I unplugged the wiring harness for the MAF sensor and it started right up and drove fine. I was planning on replacing the sensor but was wondering if it is worth it to try and clean the sensor. The car will start and die with it plugged in, but run fine with it unplugged. It does idle tough with it unplugged.  Also is there any problem with driving with it unplugged until  I order the part and it comes?  Thanks

Take it in and get your codes read to find wherein the exact prob lies. And no, you can't clean them. Unplugged for a short time should not hurt, but depending on what else you've got going on, personally I wouldn't. It meters your airflow and sets your fuel control/amount. Lousy mileage will probably be your end result. One thing I learned, and was told by more than a few mechanics, is not to go with a non-Ford aftermarket MAF. I did, and had probs. Switching to a Ford MAF took care of the issue. That was on my '97 Ranger in 2008. Maybe things have changed...