• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

which GPS do I need?

LindellProStaf

Question

I haven't bought a GPS since my ol Eagle Explorer in the 80,s.  Just haven't needed one.  Well might be handy bear baiting.  The wife and I got a little turned around one night...  lol  I would like an inexpensive one, nothing real fancy.  I would like to go to my property markers and mark them.  Then I would like to use it so I can find my property lines in between the markers.  I would like to put up more property markers in between the corners.  So it should be able to put a line on the screen for me to see where I am in relationship to my property lines.  Also my wife does not want to get "turned around" as I call it when we are tracking another bear after dark.  I am kind of partial to Garmin since both of my boats now have their locators in them.  I love them.

17 answers to this question

Etrex is the bargain line of Garmins.   Do you need mapping?  What are you thinking about spending?  The bottom line will mark waypoints and tracks, and do what you say you want.  You can load the waypoints from maps using a PC. 

I haven't used any of the newer handhelds, but will they do what he is asking? "I would like to go to my property markers and mark them.  Then I would like to use it so I can find my property lines in between the markers.  I would like to put up more property markers in between the corners.  So it should be able to put a line on the screen for me to see where I am in relationship to my property lines."

I am not sure I would trust anything being real precise in a consumer available GPS, but I think you could be generally accurate if you had corner posts marked, but the "drawing" the line on the screen piece is one that had wondering if these handheld units would do that???

I've got the Garmin Montana but it wasn't cheap. It's got the bigger screen and I can mount it in my truck for a travel GPS or fit it into my pocket for hunting or walking out on thin ice. If you wanted to spend a little extra, you'd have a multipurpose unit.

I haven't used any of the newer handhelds, but will they do what he is asking? "I would like to go to my property markers and mark them.  Then I would like to use it so I can find my property lines in between the markers.  I would like to put up more property markers in between the corners.  So it should be able to put a line on the screen for me to see where I am in relationship to my property lines."

I am not sure I would trust anything being real precise in a consumer available GPS, but I think you could be generally accurate if you had corner posts marked, but the "drawing" the line on the screen piece is one that had wondering if these handheld units would do that???

​Depends on distance and the accuracy desired.  Many GPS will allow averaging positions at a waypoint.  So he goes to the corner, marks a waypoint and lets it average for a while. 

Repeat at other corners.  The "go to waypoint" will enable walking a line between the corners.  With WAAS he should be close (10 to 20 feet). 

If real accuracy is required then a pro is in order.  If I was marking some hunting land, say 40 or 80 acres I would figure a GPS would be close enough.  Marking the line between two houses or measuring setback would be a different story. 

Yes that is unlikely.   Surveyors use a specialized GPS (differential, I think, using a reference at a known position. 

I wonder if a couple feet accuracy is really necessary out in the woods.  But it is your call. 

To do better than a gps you would need to cut a path to establish a line of sight like surveyors do. 

If you want to see, just go out in the yard or along the road and mark a couple of waypoints a few hundred yards apart (mark the spots with a rock or paint or something).  Then start at one and have the gps take you to the other waypoint.  You can judge how well you would be able to follow the straight line between the two points.  Deliberately deviate and see what happens. 

Here ends the experiment.  Then you get to decide how well it would do what you want out in the woods. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Time_Kinematic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_GPS

here is some reading for interested nerds.

If my handheld GPS is tracking enough satellites and WAAS is enabled, the GPS itself reports an accuracy of +/- 12 feet.   In reality though, I think it can get down to a couple feet.  When I have returned to way points, and the GPS says the waypoint is zero feet away but the accuracy is reported as +/- 12 feet, I've been standing on top of the same holes I drilled through the ice the week before.  Might have a tougher time tracking enough satellites to get the accuracy that good in deep woods though.  And even if you did get it down to a couple feet, you really can't tell without a reference point like the ice holes.

Edited by bobbymalone

I would say $250 is going to get you a very good GPS. Look for deals on the Garmin GPSMap 62s, they were replaced by the 64 series and you still see some in the supply chain.

A person can also look at the Etrex 20 and 30's but you won't be far off in price from the 62 and I feel the 62 / 64 has a slightly better antenna system.

All of those GPS's feature the WAAS and GLONASS for the best GPS accuracy you are going to find in a handheld, might not be as close as you want but its the best you'll get in a handheld GPS.

Mike

My new neighbor wants to have me show him the property lines.  I have about 20 acres that is in a rectangle.  There are too many trees to see very far.  I was hoping to get within 2 or 3 feet.  Sounds like that is unlikely.  

Yes, if you're looking to establish a legal property line the user handhelds will not be adequate.  If you're just looking to get a good idea, then they'll be fine.  Incidentally, on my Garmin Rino120 and now my GPSMap78sc I can usually obtain accuracy to within 6-9 feet most anywhere with WAAS enabled.  

Lindellprostaf, if doing property lines, I would highly recommend using a good compass instead of gps.  All you need is a good compass and a 8-10 ft pvc pipe.to use as a reference  stake.  Move slow, and only as far between marks as to keep a good bearing.

We did this on my friends land 180 acres.  We had corner stakes as well and would be within 5 ft after a 1\2 mile line.