• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1978 Evinrude 15HP no spark

perchking

I have had this motor for about 15 years, never had an issue.  Every year I replace the plugs and change lower unit oil.  I started it up this weekend, typically 2 pulls with choke added a few items to the boat, put it in reverse and it stalled and now has no spark.  When it died, it went "pffft" and that was it.  After pulling it for maybe 769 times, I gave up.  Being I was by self it was difficult to check for spark, so I did what every man would do.  I grabbed that plug and yanked on the rip cord:)  I am not sure if I was glad or not I didn't get shocked, but I am 100% sure there is no spark. 

So what do you think?

does it have an emergency kill switch? (Lanyard) make sure it's connected properly if you haven't already. The rest of it you'd have to have a dva meter or a good ohm meter in order to test it. 

Frequently when you have a sudden ignition failure like you're describing, it's the powerpack or kill switch

so I went up this week and got decent spark from one plug and nothing on the other.  I think that rules out the kill switch issue doesn't it?  I just ordered a new set of coils, to my knowledge they have never been changed since 1978!!!

Thanks for the replies.