• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Rain Gear

Gordon Fothergill

Question

Well, here goes the low-cost alternative to Gore Tex.

I bought a $30 PVC rain suit four years ago. Pants and hooded jacket. Got them really big so they go over any cold-weather gear I've got.

Never gotten wet yet in all that rainy fishing for four years. I just took a good look at it, and it'll be ready for one more season.

Five seasons into $30 is $6 a year.

Cheap, cheap, cheap. Dry, dry, dry. grin.gif

Cabelas Guidewear is awesome... I don't think you'll find better quality anywhere. Whatever you get, I'd get the bibs... They keep you much dryer when active.

who carries these frog toggs and do you know how much for jacket and bibs?Are they very warm in cool weather or are they more for warm weather?I presently have a sterns jacket and bibs wich I got from GM, for the money arent bad,didnt want to spend the big bucks for guideware.

For those of you who like Frog Toggs but would like to support a Minnesota based company (actually two Minnesota based companies), you really need to try O2 raingear!

It's made from a 3M material that breathes much better than Frog Toggs but is still 100% wind and water proof. The material is a little more resilient to wear and is built with welded seams so it is very strong. Extremely lightweight, comes with it's own stuff sack, choice of bibs or pants along with the jacket.

Check them out, they really work well and are perfect for those hot rainy days of summer!

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

Adam pretty much summed up the Frogg Toggs in his statements about the other brands, and I also agree you should support the local companies! I didn't even know anyone else made them.

Frogg Toggs, are lightweight, very breathable and very good wind breakers. I wore them over a hooded sweatshirt and was warm in 40 degree weather last year.

However, just over a tee-shirt in the hot summer months and you will be fine also!

The Frogg Toggs are available in Real Tree pattern, not sure that the other brands are or are not. But this makes them excellent for anything you might be doing, hunting, fishing, or just happen to be caught in the rain!

And yes you can buy them in just about any shape or size, bibs, pants, pull over of zip up jacket!

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 03-02-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 03-02-2003).]

This is an easy answer. Cabelas Guide Wear. You will wear it all winter and be warm. Then you will be warm and dry Spring and fall fishing also. I even wear it in the summer on hot rainy days and don't over heat. Great stuff, very durable and you can wear it all winter on the ice.

I suppose if you are a bass guy you can get away with a plastic garbage bag since they cancel the tournaments if there is any wind or rain grin.gif

Grabs,

At this time, O2 does not come in Camo. Last I checked, I think they were working on camo, and I think they can do custom colors but I'm not sure.

Scott, Scott, Scott... At least bass actually bite despite the weather. When was the last time you've heard of a bass chop?

My Cabelas Guide Wear does work good when it is cooler, and it works great for ice fishing. It was just a bit too heavy, warm, and did not breath well enough when it was hot. Otherwise, it works great!

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

I use the Stearns brand jacket and bibs. I think I paid about 120 bucks for these and they are are worth every penny. The straps on the bibs can be a little uncomfortable if they come out of adjustment but other wise they work great. They stay very dry and kepp me cool. I have worn them on 80 degree days and was warm but not uncomfortable.

Just thought I'd let you guys know that Walmart in St. Cloud has several Ducks Unlimited Rain-jackets in Advantage wetlands camo with a built in hoods marked down to $25 regularly $80. They had a nice selection of sizes tonight, but I'm pretty sure they won't last long.

Stephen

Columbia,
I got the wife and I each a suit when they were on sale, never gotten wet and they are a very good wind break, they also have zippers so you can zip in a liner. One of the nicest features is the waterproof cuff, they have a elastic material that is waterproof and doesn't let the rain run down your forarm if when you lift your hand.

Ole

I checked O2 HSOforum and they have Camo now, (Mossy Oak). It looks like a new product. Sure would like to try one of those suits out this summer on the Red.

I would have to Agree with Walleye PIMP. I also like the stearn raingear. The Walleye Hunter Series. They are very very good. Best raingear I have owned yet. Although I recieved a pair of Bass Pro Shops 100MPH rain gear and I like it too. But the Stearns is just as good for a lesser price.

Is the Friggin Ice gone yet?
I need to cruise the OPEN water...

Chev