• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good Day For Browns

reinhard1

Back in mid-June I was on Grindstone Lake in my trusty 12 footer with my friend.  The landing on the lake was too low for my Chrestliner so the 12 footer came in handy.  We went for crappies, but ended up just pounding the brown trout.  I went to my favorite crappie spot and got a few, but they just were not there as usual or were just smarter than we were.  We moved down the shore to another spot and I nailed a 15 inch crappie and thought here we go!  But that was it.  I noticed trout around us surfacing, with some large swirls.  So I tossed out a small gold spoon near a spot were a trout just surfaced and a brown smaked it.  After that another followed my spoon up to the boat.  Then my friend switched over to a small spoon and he started to get into the action.  Never seen anything like it in all the years I have fished the lake.  We kept going up the shore and drifting back while casting and continued to get into browns.  Not one rainbow, which is usually the case.  The fish ranged from 14 to the largest going 20 inches.  We both lost browns that were bigger than the 20 incher.  Here are some pics:  good luck.

IMG_1949.jpg

IMG_1951.jpg

IMG_1954.jpg

IMG_1956.jpg

IMG_1958.jpg

Grindstone lake is goofy! I have yet to catch a rainbow trout out of there! Yet I catch lakers and browns! I saw a school of trout feeding one time, it looked like a school of white bass slashing shad! I tried casting for them, but they would only nip my lure. Anyway, a northern pike came storming in and put an end to the feeding frenzy. Was a pretty cool thing to watch.

Ya, there are a lot of big pike in that lake.  Real chance for a trophy.  The DNR stocks the lake with rainbows and browns [and lakers] every year with rainbows in the greater amount.  Last few years I've been getting more rainbows both on hard water and open water than browns.  This time around it was just nuts with browns.  Probably drifted that shoreline [about a block long], 5 or 6 times that day with nothing but browns and they were hungry.  Never saw anything like it and I have been fishing that lake since the early 70's.  I know there are some big browns in there, having the state record caught out of there at one time [and a record sturgeon].  The main problem right now is getting on the lake with my 18.50 Chrestliner.  Landing way to shallow now.  Really want to take my two downriggers out there.  good luck.