• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2013 F-150 5.0

A couple of weeks ago, I traded in my 02 F150 on a low mileage 13 F150 with the 5.0. Despite all the interior upgrades, the truck is night and day difference from my old one.

One thing I looked at in the manual was the oil change schedule. Manual says to use the oil monitor system (7500-10000 miles), the dealer I bought it from said 5-6000 miles and a local dealer when I stopped in with my wife's car stated every 3000 miles. For those that have this pickup, what do you do? My 02, I ran about 3500-4000 between changes while monitoring the oil level. This one, I'd think I'd at least be able to get 5,000 (especially with the 8 qt capacity)

Steve

This is going to be open to a lot of different opinions...........

My personal opinion, If it is under a manufacturers warranty than do what the manufacturer recommends. Taking into consideration that your vehicle is run under "severe driving conditions" whether or not you believe you are. Also make sure that you are using the recommended oil and viscosity. Conventional oil, semi synthetic, and synthetic will all have different service intervals. 

I still don't believe conventional oils should be pushed beyond a 5k service. In the past, just about every manufacturer that has done this has been burned. 

Airjer-

Thanks for the response. In the last truck it was some sort of semi-synthetic (10w20)...and I believe that is what the factory motorcraft oil is. From what I read a bit more (as I find time) the onboard oil monitor system adjusts to driving style, towing, speed...etc....I'll keep an eye on it along with the actual mileage and follow the schedule as it is still under warranty.....focus on that 5,000 mile mark (trust the dealer I got the truck at as my family goes back 20+ years with them and the owners are neighbors of my parents)

Thanks!

Steve

Today's oils are much better then 10 years ago, and the engines today are tighter, therefore less contaniments getting into the oil. With that being said most drivers are in severe duty, and shouldn't go the the max recommendations.  The oil monitor systems are smarter then a preset monitor, but it still doesn't measure all aspects that damage oil. I basically focus on 3000-6000 miles. It all depends on when I think of it, and have time between those miles, and what my plans are. If I have 3000 miles on the oil and I am going to pull boat to LOW and back, I will change it before. If I have 5000 miles on it with no plans to go anywhere, I may wait until 6000 miles. 

I have a 13 F150 and go by the monitor but I also change mine myself and use Mobil 1 and the extended guard fram filter. I don't drive it everyday and really don't pull a lot either. I've had it over 2 years and just turned 16k and have changed the oil 3 times now. First was around 2k (not on monitor) and the other 2 have both been right around 7k. 

Ended up hitting the 5,000 mile mark from the last oil change over the weekend and decided it was a good time to change it. (Oil monitor was showing 27% left)

Visited the local ford garage on Saturday morning and all day long...vehicles stacked in the oil lube lane with an average wait of 3 hours.

Decided to tackle the project myself and other than realizing after I pulled the drain plug that my current oil pan holds somewhere between 9-10 quarts and trying to weasel it out from under the truck without spilling the 8 or so quarts...it wasn't to bad.

The oil filter threw me for a loop. Much easier to get at than my previous 02, however the panels installed to drain the excess had it running in two directions...one of which I didn't realize until it poured all over my shirt. Well, live and learn...maybe putting it up on ramps next time will divert it to only one drain "runway".

Probably just stick with the 5,000 going forward....easy to remember that number.

Thanks all for the advice!

Steve