• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Nipigon trip

6 of us are headed up to the Ombabika Bay area of Lake Nipigon from July 29-Aug 2.

Mainly fishing walleyes, but hoping to catch a few big gators and a couple of those legendary brook trout.

Any tips for this time of year?

Does the one barbless hook rule mean no treble hooks at all?

If I'm fishing a rapala, does having only 1 treble hook on the lure w/ the barbs pinched down, make this lure legal?

Should I just designate some tackle for this trip and pinch the barbs down, or can I just bring my tackle and pinch barbs down as I decide to use a particular lure or jig?

I'm also wondering how the bugs are up there that time of year?  Brining the bug jacket, head cover, bug dope, Therma Cell, etc. for sure, just curious as I've never been up there before. 

Thanks!!!

Brian

Go to the NW corner of the bay and head up the Little Jackfish River stop just before the train track bridge. Bring 3/4 oz. jig heads and twister tails. anchor outside of the rapids and pitch into current.The walleye fishing there can be WORLD CLASS at that time of year if the water is flowing. enter the river with a little caution. there are some rocks. That bay also has some man made hazards like cribs on the north shoreline to be aware of. Good luck. Great time of year to be in that area

Thanks Justlivin'

That is the main reason for the trip, the world class walleye fishing in the LIttle Jackfish River.

Just hoping I can put a few big gators and big brookies in the boat too.

Any idea if there's any lake trout in the bay too?

I've heard lakers are few and far between, but the one's that are caught are BIG!

Any decent contour maps or map chips of Nipigon that you know of?

Brian

No contour maps that I'm aware of--used to be a set of contour maps called Plans in Lake Nipigon--covered mostly South Bay and were next to useless. Don't waste your money.

Garmin told me they will have a chip out within 2 years as they are doing it by Lidar from satilite--they told me that in 2005--still no chip.

Little Jack is buggy all the time--you'll have to deal with no-see-ums that time of year--Deep Woods Off is what I use--if I use anything. I'm kinda used to 'em--my grandson got eaten alive last weekend--looked like he had chicken pox after a couple of days.

Ombabika is big but shallow--so no trout I'm aware of. Humboldt Bay just to the south is full of trout--fish the shorelines tight for brookies and downrig for big Lakers.

I was on the Blackwater bank this morning and picked up 9 about 10-12lbs and one a little over 20--it'll get better as the season progresses. I had the ball down 60ft and running the Provisors short shanked --within 10ft of the ball. I have one pancake ball painted white and the fish where coming up outta of 90ft to check out the ball. Trolling about 2.6mph.

Have fun

All rivers flowing into Lake Nipigon have a bar at the mouth--Little Jack changes from year to year so be careful going in--its a high water year so you shouldn't have any trouble just go slow until you are in the river. I've caught all my big Walleye's in the Little Jack trolling Wally Divers upstream--first bend in the river. 

kkahmann,

Thanks for the info!!!

I appreciate it!!!

Could you clarify the barbless, one hook rule for me?  For example for a rapala to be legal, will there have to be 1 single barbless hook on it, or does a barbless treble hook count as a "single" hook?

3 weeks from today, I'll be up there.

I wonder how many times I'll go through my gear between now and then?  LOL

Brian

A single treble hook on a plug is acceptable--so on some plugs there are 2 or 3 trebles which have to be removed. Its okay to just pinch the barb down also. The Warden will check the lure on the line you are fishing with--not your whole tackle box.

I fish some pretty big spoons for Lakers and have no problem pinching down the barb and then I give each shank on the treble a slight twist--problem is you have to remember to do it when you open up a new lure package! I have never gotten a ticket for anything but Iam joking all the time with the local warden thats what he going to nail me for.

I don't mind the barbless rule really but it is really hard to get a worm to stick on a barbless hook and i used to fish alot for brookies with a spinner and worm.

One thing that isn't in the regulation book--you can't fish smelt for bait in Zone 6 but you can on Lake Nipigon--smelt are already in the Lake but the exception didn't make it into the rule book.

We survived our Lake Nipigon trip!

Weather wasn't bad, a little rain here and there, the wind never gave us a break till yesterday when we were on our way home.

The Little Jackfish River was really flowing,  it was really tough to fish, we caught some fish in there, but no where near the numbers that the guide's groups have caught in the past.

We explored a bit and found every main lake point and every tiny point in any bay had walleyes on them.

The walleyes bit w/ recklessness.  8 guys in 2 days of fishing, 7-8 hours each day, put around 500'ish 'eyes in the boat.  NO talk either!!!!  Unbelievable fishery!!!

Most fish ran from 10-18" with enough 18-25" fish to keep things interesting.

Big fish of the trip for our group was a 28" walleye and 15 lb gator.

1/2 oz to 3/4 oz jigs and Berkley Gulp minnows caught most of our fish.  We did catch a few troling crankbaits.

The wind kept the bugs away which was nice.

Already planning on next summer's trip to Nipigon.

Brian

Always wanted to do a trip there. How was the trip there? Roads, etc? As far as logistics of planning, since I assume there isn't much around in the way of amenities, did you have to take that into consideration? Or is it easier than I think?

Prov1900,

The trip there wasn't bad at all.  The last few miles to the landing on the Ombabika River was basically a 2 track road w/ a few mudholes, but nothing too serious.  Definitely need a 4wd vehicle to land the boat.  Boat landing was primitive, rocky and steep.

Instead of tenting it like we did on this trip, I'd seriously consider looking at staying at a resort on the east side of the lake on the Onaman River.

I'm sure the walleye fishing is just as good in this area and not to mention, the lake trout and brook trout fishing would be possible.

We camped on the north end of Ombabika Bay and from the info I got, there aren't any trout in that part of the lake.

From my understanding, camping is allowed on the lake, $10 a person/per day.  From the map I looked at, there are camp sites marked on the map.

The name of the map was Lake Nipigon Signature Series, I believe.  I think I saw them for sale on the net for $15.  Not sure how updated the map is though.

Brian

North half of Lake Nipigon is shallower than the southern half--I know of no trout fishing in Ombabika bay--Humbolt bay is trout water but I don't know about walleye--some walleye in the Onamon river but it gets pounded pretty hard. Nearest gas would be Beardmore unless the resort at Onamon river has some. The resort is several miles upstream from Humbolt Bay.