• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cooking Brisket In Halves

I did an experiment over the 4th and cut a brisket lengthwise and smoked it in two pieces.  I've heard some markets started selling them like this when the brisket prices went so high last year.  Results: There was no difference in moistness, tenderness or flavor over my whole briskets, but the total cook time was only 6-1/2 hours for one of the halves, and 8 hours for the other, then I let them rest for 2 hours in a cooler. The larger one had more of the point and was a hair thicker so that's why it took longer.  Anyway my logic was not only a shorter cook time, but I wanted to have one wrapped for the freezer.  I left it in a foil pouch (three layers) and added a little more beefy broth so there will be liquid for reheating. The basic cook went like this: 15 pound whole brisket, trimmed of heavy fat only - Injected and rubbed the night before, put on tray in the fridge - smoked them at 275° +/- for about 4 hours - wrapped in foil with some jazzy beefy broth (2 ounces) - went back on the pit until they tendered up (2.5 hours for one, and 4 hours for the other) - moved the pouches to a cooler to rest. 

I liked it so much that I'll be trying this method again.  Another good thing is that I normally buy briskets in the 13 pound range, now I can go with larger ones.

tX41jIJ.jpg

jxyCXtA.jpg

J2XbW0Z.jpg

looks old school Weber

I can cook/smoke/bbq anything but a good brisket.  My wife who doesn't cook laughs about it and tells me when it comes to brisket I'm "blessed" with her cooking skills.

That a weber kettle or a smoker thing?

​Smoker thing.  Mine is called a Big Drum Smoker as it's taller and heavier duty than the standard 55 gallon drum.  The generic name for this style of smoker is a UDS (ugly drum smoker) and they basically mimic open pit BBQ.  The charcoal basket is in the bottom and there is 30" or so of distance from the coals to the grate... in other words the cooking is raised direct as there is no baffle or heat deflector.  Fats are like little flavor bombs as they drip into the coals during the cook.

tNVkf.jpg

Edited by thirdeye