• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sweet Heat

Just picked up a couple cans of Bush's new "Sweet Heat" beans to go with the smoked ribs tomorrow. Man, they're great!! Just the right bite to 'em, and sweet....anyone else tried these?  t2801.gif

I tried them a few days ago and thought they were tasty, but I think homemade are better if you have the time IMO.  I did try the suggestion on the can of mixing it with rice (because I really like red beans and rice) and it makes for a very solid side dish if you're in a hurry.

Just picked up a couple cans of Bush's new "Sweet Heat" beans to go with the smoked ribs tomorrow. Man, they're great!! Just the right bite to 'em, and sweet....anyone else tried these?  t2801.gif

​I will look for that flavor next time out.  Sounds like my thing.

I've since mixed them with a can of  their Country Style....if you want to cut back on the heat a bit.

I tried them a few days ago and thought they were tasty, but I think homemade are better if you have the time IMO.  I did try the suggestion on the can of mixing it with rice (because I really like red beans and rice) and it makes for a very solid side dish if you're in a hurry.

Homemade is always better.  smile.gif   Just something different and quick.

I was in TX over the 4th where those boys KNOW how to BBQ. If I had a smoker I would try what they did for their beans. They were absolutely AMAZING!

I don't have the exact ingredients, but basically they used any consumer available beans, but they added vegies that they smoked on the pit for several hours. Put them in a blender and pureed them. Then put them in the beans. OFF THE HOOK!

I need a smoker so bad.

Here is a bean recipe I have from the Smoking Meat Forums.....

WICKED BAKED BEANS
(Beans that will even make Chili Heads happy)

6-8 strips of bacon cut into 1/2 inch squares
1/2 Medium onion, diced
1/2 Bell pepper, diced
1 - 2 Jalapeno Peppers, diced (seeding is optional)
1 - 55 ounce can Bushs Baked Beans
1-8 ounce can of pineapple chunks, drained
1 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
1 Cup ketchup
1/2 - 1 Tbs. dry (ground) mustard

Saute bacon pieces in fry pan until crispy and remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Saute onion, bell pepper and jalapeno  pepper until tender.

In a large mixing bowl combine beans, pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup and dry mustard. Stir in bacon pieces and vegetables. Pour into a 12X9 or a deep 9X9 aluminum baking pan. (While mixing if things look dry, add additional ketchup 1/4 -1/2 cup at a time)

Place in a 220-250° smoker for 2 1/2 - 3 hours (make sure temperature of the baked beans reaches 160° ) or place in a 350° oven and bake for 1 hour.

NOTE: If you are making these beans as a side dish for Kansas City style pork ribs, smoke the removed skirt meat for 1-1 1/2 hours, then dice the skirt meat and stir into the Baked Beans.

DISCLAIMER

With the Jalapeno±o pepper and the dry mustard these beans have the potential for some MAJOR heat. CAUTION should be exercised when feeding these beans to small children and/or the elderly.

To make this recipe Family Friendly, omit the Jalapeno±o pepper and the dry mustard.

DISCLAIMER

With the Jalapeno±o pepper and the dry mustard these beans have the potential for some MAJOR heat. CAUTION should be exercised when feeding these beans to small children and/or the elderly.

Some of us "elderly" like to omit the pineapple, the sissy sauce (ketchup) , use BBQ sauce instead, and put in a 1/2 tsp. of smoked Chipotle powder. Gets us all revved up and puts us on our toes. 

super-happy-dance-smiley-emoticon.gif

I've made the wicked beans myself.  I doubled the recipe and used the peppers as stated with the seeds removed and there was some heat but not enough affect the flavor.  Of course heat to some can have different degrees of how much you can handle so some may not put the pepper s in or maybe start off with one in a single batch.  Good stuff.  Of course you can doctor it up while doing a taste test during the process.  Reinhard