• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chicken Pot BBQ

The ingredients you'll need:

• 6lbs.Chicken Thighs (or bone in chicken breast)
  • 1 Cup Cider Vinegar
  • 11/2 Cups Soy Sauce
  • 11/2 Cups Brown Sugar
  • 1 Onion
  • 4-5 Dried Bay Leaves
  • 6-8 Garlic Cloves
  • 1T Black Pepper or Rub
  • 1/2 Dozen Eggs (optional)

Directions

1. Place the chicken in a large soup pot with the listed ingredients and then slow simmer for about 15-20 minutes. 
  2. Remove the chicken and then quickly sear both sides on the grill as shown. 
  3. Return the chicken to the pot and simmer for an additional 20-30 minutes. 
  4. Serve directly out of the pot or on rice.

Actually going to make it today.  I'll throw in the eggs also, just because those guy's did.  Toward the end of the video the guy said he cracked the eggs a little on the second simmer so the juices can creep in there, giving the eggs some of that flavor.  I'll post some pics later after I'm done.  good luck.

Everyone liked this Chicken BBQ in the pot.  The ingredients made this meal, along with the method's used.  I pretty much made it just like the video.  You could smell the flavors soon after you get the pot to simmer.  I did start the first step on my stove top vs putting the pot on the grill and that was the only difference.  I used a whole garlic bulb , so I added more garlic than the recipe states but that's part of cooking anyway.  I am a notorious tweeker of recipes anyway.  I was going to add some hot pepper flakes but my mother-in law who is close to 90 can't take the heat like she used to.  I think sweet with some heat would be great with this.  The flavor of the meal said More so I'm going to make more.  I did add the eggs to this also, cracking them some in the second phase to let the juices get into the egg.  The shells came off very easy.  Thanks again for the recipe!  Here are some pics from yesterday:  good luck.

IMG_2060.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2063.jpg

IMG_2065.jpg

IMG_2066.jpg

IMG_2068.jpg

On the menu for this weekend!  I'm not sure what my hang-up is--maybe because I've never been a huge fan of hard-boiled eggs--but having whole eggs and whole chicken on the same plate as part of the same dish seems weird to me.  I've eaten chicken meat in omelets and scrambled eggs in chicken fried rice with and never thought twice. But the I'm having difficulty with this optional component.  Haven't decided if they're going in the pot yet :) .  I would assume if one were to break, it would not be detrimental to the recipe, probably more like egg drop soup-type of outcome?

Ya the egg thing made me think also.  But I took extra care with them.  The guy in the video stirred them in there while I was watching and I thought How do they not break.  You are right, that if one did break it would spread in with the juices.  I don't know if it would hurt the sauce though because it would just be poached eggs in there with the rest of the sauce.  It is optional though and really not needed.  I think it's just the way those boy's like to eat.  Next time I'm skipping the eggs or maybe throw in just 3 or so since I'm the only one eating them.  good luck.

Looks good guys!!! Soy, garlic, chicken, eggs, looks like a good combo!!! I copied the recipe will give it a try some weekend. Seems like Cub has been having chicken thighs or breasts on sale just about every week. I would think it would be really good with the bone-in breasts, keep them nice and moist. I'm sure the wife will turn her nose up at the eggs but if I put everything over brown rice I'm sure she'll think its healthy and at least try it.

Welcome back reinhard!!!

I had the eggs crack after they had cooked.  I wasn't too worried about them.  But yeah, nothing like cooking babies next to the meat of their mothers........

I cracked the eggs a little in the second phase of the meal.  There is some flavor from the sauce on them because of this but it's mostly on the outside.  Ya, I think any part of the chicken would be good in this recipe.  Dark meat like thighs or drums would be the most moist for sure, but breasts would be good with this as well.  Heck you could cut up a whole chicken in parts so everyone can get what they want.  This is a great recipe.  I told my daughters that this is the exact opposite of my Korean Hot chicken I make.   Next time I make the hot chicken I'm going to make it in two phases as well with the grilling in the middle.  One is sweet and the other has heat.  good luck.

I had the eggs crack after they had cooked.  I wasn't too worried about them.  But yeah, nothing like cooking babies next to the meat of their mothers........

Just like Chicken Fried steak with cream gravy, or Arrosto al Latte like the Italians do. 

Made it tonight and it was VERY good.  I did 6 lbs which amounted to 12 thighs - so I actually doubled the sauce.  I looked in the pot and knew there was no way all 12 thighs were going to be covered.  It worked great.  I will say that next time I will be doing it all outside and using my side-burner on my gas grill for the pot.  I used my stove top and it worked fine but that vinegar sure leaves an over-powering odor.

Making some more today.  This time making it with bone-in breasts.  I like doing it with thighs but these breasts were on sale a couple of weeks ago so in they go.  By the way, Cubs has whole chicken leg quarters for 49 cents per pound this week [already posted this in the meat sales thread], so that would be good for this or any meal.  Will post some pics later.  good luck.

Had another great meal with this recipe.  This time as I stated above, I used bone-in chicken breast that I had in the freezer.  Skipped the eggs this time around.  I prefer thighs over breasts however.  The meat was tender but a little on the dry side.  Have to say,this recipe is like the boy's on video called for, chicken thighs. Now the flavor was still great and we all enjoyed it again, however thighs will be in this recipe from this point on.  Or a mix of thighs and drumsticks.  I put some hot pepper flakes over my rice as shown in the pic below.  The great juices from the pot mixed with my cucumber kimchi juices and it was very good.  The sweet with the heat mixed well.  good luck.

IMG_2083.jpg

IMG_2085.jpg

IMG_2086.jpg

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2089.jpg