• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Federal Duck Stamps are available as of today!!!

image.thumb.jpg.20e2ac9f123860add8fd4d29

Cant say I have ever seen a Ruddy Duck but it was the contest winner and will be gracing the back of our licenses this year. 

I believe everyone who hunts waterfowl over the age of 16 needs a stamp. But considering what the funds go for consider buying one for your youth hunters as well. 

Seasons are creeping up on us fast. 

I am looking forward to it!!!!

Hmmmm.....

Because I couldn't seem to let it go...

It seems ye old ruddy duck migrates south west from the prairie. Never in flocks and supposedly at night. No one has ever seen them migrating to California and Mexico, they just seem to show up there. 

Must be the Woodcock of the Duck world. 

It's about time the little old Ruddy Duck get's some glory. Very under appreciated duck, kinda like Spoonbills!  

I have no problem with spoonies!!! I think they are kinda nifty looking and though I have never seen one in the fall I enjoy watching them when they come through in the spring. 

I have no problem with spoonies!!! I think they are kinda nifty looking and though I have never seen one in the fall I enjoy watching them when they come through in the spring. 

Your right, Spoony drakes are sure pretty in spring. I wish they would be full colored in the Fall around here. I did have one once that had a bit more color, but not like in spring. I'll dig for the pic a bit.

Hmmmm.....

Because I couldn't seem to let it go...

It seems ye old ruddy duck migrates south west from the prairie. Never in flocks and supposedly at night. No one has ever seen them migrating to California and Mexico, they just seem to show up there. 

Must be the Woodcock of the Duck world. 

​Must be some underground railroad or series of tunnels.

Like coots they must primarily migrate at night.

Ruddys and Spoonie are great ducks in the spring.   If you hunt in the South in December / January passing on either is tough.  But I would only shoot one drake.

Edited by brittman