• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Humminbird 859 DI vs Elite 7 Chirp

Ebiz

Question

Finally time to upgrade from my super sophisticated HB 141c and have spent the past few weeks researching a new sonar/GPS combo, based on budget I think I'm ruling out the need for SI but do want the DI & GPS;  have narrowed it down to either the HB 859 or Lowrance Elite7.  I know with both I'll need to also invest in a map chip but otherwise both units appear to come ready to go out of the box with the right transducer, etc.

Anyone with experience with one/both have any insight into the best route to go? Any other options out there that I've somehow missed?  Total budget with the map chip is ~800 or less if possible.

Sidebar question - has anyone ever bought a reconditioned unit from Cabela's?  Looks like the warranty is only for 90 days but they have the 899 DI/SI right now for $719...

Looking to pull the trigger in the next week before I head up north and also some of the rebates expire, any help is much appreciated, thanks!!

5 answers to this question

Brand new 899 on Digital Oasis for 860. The 800 series is amazing! I would go with that. Especially if you ever want to invest in ipilot link. 

Sorry this this was so late. 

Edited by AnderJA

I'm kind of looking at the same decision (except a slightly larger screen) and what has me leaning towards the Elite is the wasted screen space on the HB's. The data on the left side of the HB takes up a little over an inch of screen space limiting the overall screen size for your map and sonar where on the Elite, this data is overlayed. Can anyone point me to the errors in my thinking?

Wound up buying the 859DI w/ the MN Lakemaster chip in time to rig it up and use up north last week, money very well spent. 

GPS/mapping was spot on for the lake we were on and finally have the ability to effectively fish midlake structure.  DI & sonar were miles better than what I was used to on my old unit.

Looking forward to using it on my regular lakes down here and find out what I've been missing....

20150702_213944.thumb.jpg.1dbc39a7134c17