• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My crab trees and watering system

I planted two bareroot crab trees on my land in April, one Whitney and one Chestnut. I used a plastic 55 gallon drum I had along with a battery operated hose timer to make a watering system. I have the timer  turn on for five minutes once a week, which gives each tree about four gallons of water. I was back up there last week, trees are all leafed out and looking great. I refilled the barrel, the system gives me six weeks or so of watering. Just an idea if people can't get to their land real often to water. I painted the drum a lighter color so the water does not get too hot in the drum.

crab trees 006.JPG

crab trees 009.JPG

trees 6-15 010.JPG

Great idea! I have a 35 gallon drum I set next to the trees, and I have drilled a 1/16th inch hole in the bottom, and just let it drain, but I have been having problems with that. If I leave the lid on the barrel, the water will stop draining. If I leave the cap off to vent, dirt gets in it, and plugs the hole. The last time I was up, I just drilled a couple 1/4 inch holes on the top to vent it, and I set a coffee can over the top to prevent something from plugging the vent holes. I dont have enough water barrels to do all of my trees, so I figured I would just move the barrels every few weeks to a different tree, then refill them. But they have kept plugging, and not emptying.  I think I have it figured out this time. But with your method, I could water a couple trees with each barrel, just tee the hoses.