• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

river boat-- tunnel hull

motownmasher

posting this in here, as it seems most of the jets around here are fishing cats.  starting the search for a new rig, in the 1860 range.  i've currently running a g3 with a 60/40 yamaha, and happy with that other than size.  wondering if anyone has experience with the lowe roughneck tunnel hull, or the seaark.   these boats seem awfully heavy for a maximum of 65 to 80hp jets. also curious on the durability and function of these boats.  the lowe is thousands less than a g3 or seaark.  i fish the river for cats 99% of the time.  couple trips after musky in the fall on smaller lakes.

Guy on here goes by the name of lowblazah has a sea ark, I think it's a 1972 or 2072 or thereabouts.  He loves it, spent a lot of time redoing flooring and wiring and whatnot in there to get it set up just the way he likes it.  He's running something like a 115 or 135 hp on it, with a prop.  I think it's a tunnel hull but not sure.  Alagnak (another guy on here) has a G3 that's roughly the size you're looking at, and he just sold it this spring.  I think he had a 90/60 jet (or whatever the conversion is on the 90 outboard jet).  Haven't seen many lowes running around and don't know anyone who has one.  But perhaps one or both of these fellas will see this post and respond with any info they might have from when they were boat shopping.

I don't know that it actually makes sense to go with a tunnel hull on a jet.  Correct me if I'm wrong, that's just what I've heard -- that the tunnel hulls are made for prop engines.

well, there are jet tunnels and prop tunnels.  jet tunnel is only about 3" deep.  just keeps the motor from hitting when bottomed out.  my current g3 is not a tunnel and i have been very happy with that, however the transom is not built up and i think with the weight from a larger outboard this could be a potential problem.  any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Alagnak gave me alot of helpful info. when purchasing my previous boat.  seems to know jets!! nobody around me a jet except the iowegians.

I run a G3 1966 prop tunnel.  It has a 115 and can run in 9-10 inches when on step.  Tons more room than the jet drive versions of the boat.  If it is weighted right can get about 38 mph in the skinny water.  I do have my eye on a new one if you are interested in talking.  I realize this post is almost a year old.