• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bait Options for Flats on the Mississippi vs the MN

mamba

I'm planning on bank fishing Pool 2 for a couple hours tomorrow night after work, and I wanted to get some input on bait tactics for targeting flats at this point in the season. Are cut creek chubs still effective for flats on the Mississippi at this point, or is now a good time to switch over to live bullies? I've faired well with live bullies during pre-spawn on the MN in years past, but I'd be curious to hear if the same holds true for the MS. Moreover, I realize the areas I usually fish from shore on the MN (current breaks, eddies, drop-offs, etc.) are a lot harder to locate/access on the MS without a boat. Can shore fishing around the Pool 2 area be just as effective as it would be on the MN, or am I at an inherent disadvantage without a boat?

Also, has anybody here had success catching flats using mooneyes as bait? If so, I'd be really interested to hear if anybody knows how to go about catching them—ideally from shore if that's even possible. I've been looking for places around Minneapolis/St.Paul to source my bait seeing that all of my bully/chub spots are out in the SW suburbs

Edited by mamba

I rarely use cutbait, but guys who use it regularly seem to have success.  But I prefer live baits, on both rivers actually.  Pre-spawn I really think they're interested in eating bigger baits, so bullheads should work fine.  Or use those chubs live!

Thanks for the response! I went with your advice and picked up a half dozen bullies. I'll be sure to post if I have any luck!

P.S. Would cut bullies be worth giving a shot while I'm waiting for the sun to go down??

Some folks have good luck with cut bullies.  I've never really tried, I figure why waste a good live bullhead by cutting it up!  I guess the only reason I'd cut a live bullhead up is if he's too small (say 3-4 inchers).  Live bait works before the sun goes down too!

if you do use cut bait  rebait often like every 20 minutes to half hour. with cut bait your luring the fish in with scent alone rather then scent and vibration so a fresh blood trail is crucial.

u can call around to the bait stores and ask, im sure one of them will have them. or just get your self some crawlers, hooks, and weights and fish for them. its a good time catching your own bait and it saves on the pocket book!!

The bait shop in South St. Paul sells bull heads. Not sure which one.

Just seen a 20lb flathead caught off of cut sucker on Pool 2 from shore last Saturday. I say it depends on the structure you are fishing in. Some times live bait tends to scurry and hide all night verses cut drops and sits out in the open.  

i think cut bait works best in fast current. i believe the flatheads sometimes have a hard time picking up the vibration of live bait in heavy current . so using cut bait bait gives a scent trail right to the bait.

I always have cut bait out all year long and probably 7 out of my 10 biggest flatheads have come on it.  very true that some nights they seem to show a preference for whatever reason, but if you're not fishing cut bait you're probably missing fish.

suckers and chubs are great but cut sheepshead works pretty well too and it's easy to catch.  I like the smaller ones, easier to cut up.  you'll have better success if you clean up your bait chunks a little bit, like cutting off fins.  you can use the head as one piece.  you don't need a huge chunk for a big fish.  fresh is great as noted but they'll eat it even after it's been sitting there for a couple hours.

ended up with two nice ones the other night on cut sheepshead, one of them only had one eye

eee11.jpg