• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye snells

jramsber

How does everyone attach their snells to their main line?  Some come with a pre tied loop that can be attached to a swivel clip but some don't have a loop. Do you guys tie your own loops or use something else?  Can you tie a barrel swivel to the end of the snell then attach that to the main line with a snap swivel?  Thanks!  

I basically just use a barrel swivel tied to my main line and tietie the snell direct to that. On spinners I will tie a barrel swivel on them and snap onto bottom bouncers. 

Most of the time I use a snap on my main line & a barrel swivel on the snell.If you use snap swivels,which I don't,just tie a loop.Only time i use a snap swivel & a barrel swivel together is with bottom bouncers,

I basically just use a barrel swivel tied to my main line and tietie the snell direct to that. On spinners I will tie a barrel swivel on them and snap onto bottom bouncers. 

​This is what I do. I just made up some slow death rigs last night in fact. I used to make my snells completely from scratch but now I find it hard to justify messing with all those components when there are pre-made ones available for cheap. The ones I buy do not have a loop on the end OR other means for attaching. I just buy a high quality barrel swivel and attach it directly to the main line. No snap at all. Yes, this makes it more difficult to change presentations, but I like it for its simplicity.

If I'm rigging I generally just use a simple improved clinch knot tied directly to the swivel. Although if I'm pulling spinners I utilize the loop with a Lindy quick change spinner swivel, or just use a slip knot with loop. Put loop through swivel and drop hook, beads, and blade through the loop, snug up tight. 

The "perfection loop" is the knot the snell makers use to make the loop. It's easy to learn. You can read the instructions and watch the animation here...

http://www.animatedknots.com/perfection/index.php?Categ=fishing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&HSOforum=www.animatedknots.com

Edited by Igor Drackenwolf

At times they will out fish a crawler harness BIG time. Other times they may not make a difference. Last year in Canada I caught 10 walleyes in 5 minutes while my partner didn't get a fish. I was using the slow death hook and he was using a traditional crawler harness.

Two years ago, I was fishing out in South Dakota with a guide by the name of David Spaid, who invented the slow death technique.We caught smallies, walleyes, northerns, and even a crappie with this presentation. One thing he did was add an extra swivel snap to the bottom bouncer to prevent  twisting. I now just automatically add one to my bottom bouncer no matter what kind of snell I'm dragging.

If I'm pulling crawlers through the cabbage then I like to use a good yet very small barrel swivel and tie my snell directly to that, if I'm fishing deeper water out of the weeds then I'm not to picky and will usually just tie a loop and use a snap swivel.