• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2014 F150

I just bought a new 2014 F150 XLT.  The dealer said that it is galvanized and so it won't rust out.  Is this accurate?  Since my 2002 is not looking that good despite the undercoating I wonder what is correct, and more importantly what I can do to keep it looking good.  I park it in a garage that never gets below 32 degrees and I was wondering if that damp salty slush is a big problem.

Thanks for your time.

Tom

I think whoever told you that needs to do a little more research on their own product. Galvanized body parts have been around since the 80's. inner fenders, liners, and wheel wells were typically what was zinc-coated  (hot dipped) for rust prevention. The new F-150's still use a steel frame and cross-members, but the sheet metal is all aluminum.The frame and all steel fasteners are zinc coated, and the 6000 series aluminum with added zinc body panels should not be an issue. Ford has gone to using a lot more structural adhesive, and many other fastenings are adhesive spot fasteners. Like stated, "if it's gonna rust, it's gonna rust". Living here, there is nothing you can do to stop it. Once a spot of rust starts anywhere, it will spread. Oxygen and moisture combining causes it, and road salt/slush just accelerates it. About the only thing you can do is keep your vehicle clean and dry, including the underside, and cross your fingers. IMO, undercoating is a waste of money, as the rust will start in any untreated area, and I've seen it often start under the coatings. Vehicles have come a long way, I think you'll be happy with your new Ford. My 2010 still looks like new. 

Edited by RebelSS

This is a 2014.  I didn't want to be one of the first on the experiment with the aluminum bodies.  Parts are too expensive and as I read not many shops can do the work on them.  Not interested in being tied to a dealer shop.

This is a 2014.  I didn't want to be one of the first on the experiment with the aluminum bodies.  Parts are too expensive and as I read not many shops can do the work on them.  Not interested in being tied to a dealer shop.

​Whoops, my bad. But, aluminum parts have been used in cars for years, hoods, deck, etc, Audi using the most starting in the 90's. A partial list of aluminum usage in cars...

The following is only a partial list of manufacturers who use aluminum body panels:

ACURA 

NSX (ALL), RL (HOOD, DECKLID, FENDERS AND TRUNK)

ASTON MARTIN 

VANQUISH (BODY PANELS), DB9 (HOOD)

BMW

Z8 & 7 SERIES (BODY PANELS), 3, 5, 6 SERIES (HOOD, DOORS, BODY PANELS), X5, X6 SERIES (HOOD, BODY PANELS)

BUICK

LESABRE (HOOD), PARK AVENUE (HOOD), RENDEZVOUS (LIFTGATE) 

CADILLAC

CTS (HOOD), DEVILLE (HOOD), ESCALADE (LIFTGATE), SEVILLE (HOOD)

CHEVROLET

SUBURBAN (LIFTGATE), TAHOE (LIFTGATE), VENTURE (HOOD) 

CHRYSLER

CONCORDE, LHS, PACIFICA (HOODS)

FERRARI

360 MODENA (BODY PANELS) 

FORD

EXPEDITION (HOOD & LIFTGATE), EXPLORER (HOOD AND FENDERS), F-150 (HOOD), LINCOLN NAVIGATOR (HOOD & LIFTGATE), LINCOLN LS (HOOD, FENDER & TRUNK LID), RANGER (HOOD), LINCOLN TOWN CAR (HOOD), GT (BODY PANELS), MUSTANG GT (HOOD)

GM

YUKON, YUKON XL (LIFTGATES)

HONDA

S2000 (HOOD), INSIGHT (BODY PANELS)

INFINITI

Q (HOOD & TRUNK LID) I (HOOD & TRUNK LID)

JAGUAR

XJ, S-TYPE (HOOD)

LANCER

XJ, S-TYPE (HOOD), EVOLUTION VIII (ROOF)

LEXUS

SC430 (HOOD)

LOTUS

ELISE SPORT 190 (BODY PANELS)

MERCEDES

CL500, SL500 AND OTHER MODELS

MERCURY

MOUNTAINEER

NISSAN

ALTIMA, MAXIMA (HOODS & TRUNK LIDS)

OLDSMOBILE

AURORA (HOOD & TRUNK LID), SILHOUETTE (HOOD)

OPEL

SPEEDSTER (BODY PANELS)

PANOZ

ROADSTER (BODY PANELS)

PEUGEOT

407 (HOOD)

PORSCHE

CAYENNE (HOOD), 911 (HOOD)

PLYMOUTH

PROWLER (HOOD, DOORS & TRUNK LID)

PONTIAC

BONNEVILLE, MONTANA (HOODS)

RANGE ROVER / LAND ROVER

HOODS, DOORS, SIDE PANELS

SAAB

9-2X (HOOD)

SUBARU

9-2X (HOOD), GT (HOOD), LEGACY (HOOD, BUMPERS, SUNROOF) 

VOLVO

(HOODS & TRUNK LIDS

Most shops will work on aluminum bodied cars. It is simply finding a quality shop to fix your truck (hopefully never need to). Tig welders and spool guns have become way more common nowadays, as well as hug advances in adhesives over the past few years. You should be fine going to any reputable shop.

As far as galvanized, as mentioned, most body panels have already had the dipping process done for billions of years. (ok, so a slight exaggeration) 

Park it outside in the winter or keep the garage below freezing will be the best bet to minimize the inevitable corrosion. Keeping it clean is also a huge factor. Good luck with your new truck!!