Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GRA

Sweet barbeque sauce

18 posts in this topic

The wife and I went out to eat last Sat. nite-the American Legion in Fergus Falls. The place has great barbequed  ribs. They have a rather sweet sauce on them and we were trying to figure out what they use to sweeten it up. Wife said brown sugar, but I said its not that. My guess was some kind of jam. The consistency of the sauce seemed kind of jam like. Anybody have any thoughts on sweetening up a barbeque sauce but not making it sickeningly sweet.

Yup. Corn syrup is used a lot...or flavored jam. I use dark blackstrap molasses in mine, with a touch of honey. 

chaffmj likes this

I haven't tried em on my ribs yet, but on football Sundays we mix sweet baby rays Chipotle BBQ sauce with grape jelly for meatballs in the crokpot,  probably a 2 part sauce to 1 jelly. Not sure if this helps but it is a good combo.

chaffmj and Rick like this

I have added strawberry jam to BBQ sauce to give it a different taste. Goes good with any Pork

​Me too, I add 1/4 cup of my wife's homemade chunky strawberry jam  and a 1/4 cup of honey to 1 cup of sweet baby rays and a tsp of heat. 

bobberineyes, Rick, chaffmj and 1 other like this

Strawberry jam sounds interesting, I'll have to do a little experimenting with that. Thanks.

chaffmj, Rick and bobberineyes like this

Strawberry jam sounds interesting, I'll have to do a little experimenting with that. Thanks.

​Try adding Apricot; I make a pork glaze out of this. Really goes well with pig. :P

bobberineyes, chaffmj and Rick like this

How about chicken thighs, I'm definitely gonna mix up a batch of sauce and jam and give it a shot. 

Rick likes this

How about chicken thighs, I'm definitely gonna mix up a batch of sauce and jam and give it a shot. 

​Mix up some good OJ, ( use the pulpy type)  apricot jam, and a bit of soy sauce....el yum. :)

JP Z and Rick like this

Orange marmalade is also good. Sprinkle in some red pepper flakes like the ones you put on pizza gives it a nice little zip.

Rick likes this

I guess I wasn't too far off when I was thinking of sweet stuff to use and the two things that came to mind were apricot jam and orange marmalade.

I

I guess I wasn't too far off when I was thinking of sweet stuff to use and the two things that came to mind were apricot jam and orange marmalade.

​You can never  be "off" when coming up with BBQ sauce ideas!!  I've also added real maple syrup, now THAT'S good! Gives it a maple tang.

That's what's going on the apple-wood smoked ribs today.....:P

Edited by RebelSS
Rick likes this

A Buddy of mine used to sell pulled pork sandwiches at softball games.  He used Black Currant jam in his sauce.  Great stuff.  He always ran out.

Sorry I'm kinda late to the party, but for anyone who likes a sweeter BBQ sauce, do a search for Big Butz BBQ. Their cranberry sauce is SO good you won't believe it.

For years I used honey if I needed to add some sweetness, now I prefer agave nectar.

Rick likes this

I have made a strawberry jalapeno BBQ sauce that is good.  Just look on the net. You can add as much sweet as you want.

Rick likes this

I would stay away from corn syrup.    The jam's and jelly's mentioned are great.  I tend to use brown sugar in my homemade stuff along with the jam or jelly's.  Honey is also great.   good luck.

Edited by reinhard1
Rick likes this