• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

iPilot link problem

musky5555

I just purchased and installed my Terrova iPilot link and Humminbird 859 unit.  I thought I had it hooked up correctly, but the "follow the contour" feature isn't working.  I select the depth contour I want to follow, then select the direction (color), but the trolling motor doesn't engage.  The "spot lock" feature does work however.   Any ideas what the problem is, or can someone point me in the right direction to someone who might know?

Do you have a link-compatible map card installed?

"The Follow the Contour function of i-Pilot Link
requires an i-Pilot Link enabled LakeMaster SD
Card or a Humminbird AutoChart SD Card. Look
for the i-Pilot Link logo on the packaging."

I am not sure what might be happening exactly, but I would check for software updates at humminbird for both your 859 and ipilot link. 

Have you tried calling humminbird.  They have been very helpful for me.  Good Luck!

I know Humminbird just released a SW update yesterday due to an issue that would lock up the GPS units. Might want to check the HSOforum to see if your unit is one of the affected ones.

It was something to do with the tracks on ipilot link AND the GPS unit getting corrupted and it caused a massive internal issue and locked the units. They actually advised to disconnect the iLink until the update was released. It doesn't sound like the problem you are having, but perhaps it will cure it.

Igor

Honestly, I'm not even sure about the remote.  The first time I tried it, I actually forgot the remote in my truck.  The second time I tried, I did have the remote, but I can't be certain the prop was "on" on the remote itself.  I know the trolling motor was "on" otherwise, because the spot lock feature was working.

The spot-lock will engage the prop to keep you on the spot. But the follow contour feature won't send you anywhere unless the prop is on. Try that. It might be that simple. And when in doubt, re-read that manual. It's a sophisticated piece of equipment.

I've been using mine since last spring, and I just skimmed through that manual again. It's amazing how much iPilot can do that I completely forgot about because I fell into a rut of only using certain features.

I've tried everything above, and then some.  I even uploaded the most current software updates from Humminbird, and it's still not working.  That is what customer support advised me to do.  Can someone recommend a repair shop that's good with electronics?

Mine did almost the same thing. What mine would not do, was to go auto pilot.  You point the boat in a direction but would want to steer to the right.  Spot locked worked.  Contour following not very good either.  I called M/K and they replaced the head free of charge.  If it is still under warranty that is the way to go.  The only problem is you are out for about a week.  They e-mail you a pre-paid Fed X label which you send in your head and when they get yours, they send a new one 

The spot lock on my terrova ipilot doesn't work like it once did. For the first three years it worked great, keeping you right on a 5ft area. Then all of a sudden it would move to far off the spot and try and get you back and over run the spot and continues to do this, making it about a 25ft area instead. I bought new batteries cuz they wouldn't hold a charge as long and recommended by minn kota, unplugged the ipilot wiring overnight, still didn't help, so I bought a new updated version ipilot, still same problem. Navigation, cruise control, and recording all work great, but the spot lock moves boat around so much and quick, if your trying to jig, your gonna get lines tangled. I'm always making sure the boat is at 0 or 0.1 mph before I spot lock but that doesn't matter and I know I never use to be so careful of the speed before when it worked good. Any suggestions?