• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Defective Rapalas

Blackhawkxp

Is any one else having trouble with Rapala Lures?  I bought 6- SSR-7's in various colors and i have 2 left after one day of fishing.  The front lip breaks off or the tail treble rips through the balsa when fighting a fish. Just curious if any one else has been seeing this or if i got a bad batch?  

Edited by Blackhawkxp

switch to salmo;s   rapalas are good for about 10 fish, I had a salmo that I caught close to 100 fish off of one lure until a big northern took it on me.rapalas are not made the same as they use to. I am at the point of thinking of  removing from my tackle box.I just have faith in them anymore.

I don't typically fish the SSR style rapalas much so i don't have a lot of experience with that style of  lip design and their longevity but they definitely seemed to be much more fragile than the standard shad rap.  It looks like they glue the lip to the lure and the eye is in the body.  The standard shad has the eye in the lip so they must reinforce the bill?  I am guessing this is why the lips are more prone to breaking off on the SSR styles?  We did have good luck with them and i am sure i will buy new replacements but i was just wondering if i was the only one with this kind of failure rate.

As Deitz said, I've had problems with my Rapalas breaking if I slap them on the water to get the weeds off.......not the same as an all plastic bait by any means.

I fish shad raps often and have not had issues other then with "weedslapping" now I hand pick the weeds off.  I have had large fish stretch the treble out of the rear of the bait when thrashing in the net but a little epoxy and it was back to fishing.  If you are unsatisfied with the quality, like others have said, return to retailer or get in touch with Rapala and see what you can work out.  For a bit of added insurance when I am fishing big fish waters, I will run a light bead of super glue gel along the lip where it meets the body just for a little extra insurance;).

Tunrevir~

I see this is a couple months old, but I'm interested too.. I haven't bought any Raps this year, mainly because I've only been on the water twice. Don't have a hitch anymore so I can't pull my tiny fishin boat to the lake :cry:

However, I've never had problems with Rapala quality, just the price. I mostly buy Shad Raps in varying sizes, along with some traditional/original style floating Raps. The best thing about them is they are almost always "tuned" to run straight and true out of the box. I know what depth they will run with a certain amount of line out.

If they have changed to where they are breaking bills off and pulling hooks through, that really sucks and I'll have to find a different lure company. I know of Salmo but they aren't cheap either if I recall correctly, so its hard to spend money on lures I have no comfort level with. What would be comparable to a Rapala Shad Rap, from Salmo or other good lure co.?

I don't know if it is a real problem or not.  I haven't bought many rapalas lately, been living off my stockpile, except for a couple of shadow raps. 

I think if the problem was pervasive, we would be hearing much more noise about it. 

I'm also surprised that there aren't more counterfeit Rapalas and other lures around.  Given the retail price and the Chinese attitudes towards Intellectual Property, should be a slam dunk. 

Edited by delcecchi

Just so you all know, almost all the fishing tackle you buy is made in China or Japan and has been for a number of years.  There are still a few made in the USA, Muskie baits are a good example.  Even some local companys you all know well get all of their components over seas.

"Ace"

www.aceguideservice.com

Muskies and More.

"It's just fishing man" 

No rapalas, but since rapala bought luhr Jensen I have break at least 1 or 2 quick fish a day. I like the colors but the quality sucks now. between them cracking and filling with water, the noses breaking off and hooks pulling out on fish I am done with them. I switched over to the original T-50 Flatfish and have had no issues. Its a much better built product that can handle the big fish we catch

Live4Chrome

Chadwick's Fishing Guide Service

Guided Trophy Trout and Salmon Fishing on Alaska's Kenai River.

Edited by live4chrome