• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deep Fryer Question

Alright I just bought one of those 11 quart fish fryers. I plan on using this on my fishing trip up north next weekend for fish/potatoes...

Couple quick questions:

1. How much oil do you typically use in this size fryer? I read right around a gallon works well.

2. What type of oil do you use? I read peanut oil is the best but its also the most expensive. I was thinking of buying 2 gallons so I can change the oil when after using the fish when we go to do potatoes... Just thinking if I could save a couple bucks with corn oil or something like that?

Advice????

I get the 2 1/2 gal jugs from Menards. I think it's Shore Lunch Miracle Frying oil.

I only fill my pan about 1/3 so an 11 QT pan would be just under a gallon...1 gallon would be good.

Why change the oil before the potatoes? I guess I don't. I like to fry up onion rings too which somehow "cleans" the oil of any fishy taste.

After using it a couple times, I strain it and I pour it back it in a jug and keep it in the Frig(summer)...root cellar 3 seasons.

Thanks for the advice guys. If I bought peanut oil and didn't have to use two different batches in order to cook the tats and fish then I wouldn't mind spending the extra money on that. I think that's what I will do..

Hayleysgold: You think a gallon would be good???

Heck, I've used peanut oil to cook fish, saved it, used it later to cook potatoes, saved it, used it later to cook onions, saved it, and used it later to cook spicy Indian cuisine - then back to fish again.

If you strain the particulate matter out of the oil with cheesecloth or other type of filtration, the flavoring of the oil from one use to the next is subtle, and doesn't overly taint the flavor of food. When the oil begins to darken after repeated uses and filtrations, then the flavoring begins to become more of an issue. But don't be afraid of fishy tasting oil when the oil is relatively fresh.

Some people keep oil on hand just for fish, and separate oil for other deep frying. I haven't found that necessary.