Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
upnorth

this confuses me a little

3 posts in this topic

How can a city the size of Duluth have roughly 50% of the student population be low income?

Duluth Students

Quote:
Duluth's low-income students, who make up nearly 50 percent of the district's enrollment, may be asked to pay more to participate in school sports and other activities.

That is the same as saying 50% of the population is poor. How can that be? Are the figures of who is low income or not out of whack? I would guess that is somewhat indicative of the country not just one town.

That is the same as saying 50% of the population is poor. How can that be? Are the figures of who is low income or not out of whack? I would guess that is somewhat indicative of the country not just one town.

That's not really the same thing. It's saying that of the students enrolled in the Duluth public school district, x% of them fall below a certain income threshold. Duluth has had a poverty rate higher than the MN state avg for a while... in 2009 the poverty rate for Duluth was 31% (that surprised me, actually).

Looks like about 10% of Duluth students attend one of the private schools, I am going to just assume they're not below the poverty line, so you can see how that 50% number referenced in the article might not be all that out of line with reality.