• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish Trap

Lucky Eddy

Question

5 answers to this question

Lucky Eddy:

You can get hyfax runners to put on the bottom. You just drill countersunk holes from the bottom of the runners up through the trap floor and used bolts/nuts to fasten them.

Assuming your wear-through has happened on the extruded parts of the floor, the hyfax will cover those spots, and you won't even need to repair them.

And repairing them is difficult. Most adhesives that work on plastic won't work on the high density polyethyline trap tubs, because it's my understanding HDPE contains oils, and applying new HDPE material and heat is how they are repaired.

Not sure where to get the runners. I've seen them in some fishing stores, and they were sold at the ice fishing expo in the cities in December.

Try melting a plastic milk carton on the hole(s). Cut into long, thin strips, using a torch or a lighter, and drip on the edges toward the center of the hole. I've repaired many gas tanks on sleds and dirt bikes that way. Used hyfax should be in dumpsters behind busy snowmobile shops in a low snow year. Good luck!

Kevin

Kevin, that's a great tip on where to find Hyfax runners, which tend to be hilariously expensive in fishing stores, considering what you get.

I'd be interested to see if the milk jug thing would work on HDPE. Sounds like a reallly good possibility.

------------------
"I still miss my ex-wives, but my aim is getting better!"
Steve Foss
[email protected]