• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Boat!

Joe

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

This year I am buying a new boat. I will be writing about my experiences with each boat and my opinion on each. Here is what I will be looking at a 18-20 foot fiberglass boat with a full windshield, going to be new or slightly used. As far as motors I am not too picky. Would prefer a 4 stroke though.

A little back ground. I am mainly fish walleyes on big water (leech). Last year I bought a Larson 2020 tiller and wasn't happy so I sold it after having it 8 months...

Last year's 2014 2020 TL Larson:

The new hull for Larson is a big improvement over last years design. Handles big water great. However, the boat did tend to porpoise a bit. I have heard that is more due to the prop then the boat but none the less was a bit of an issue for me. max speed with a 200 I4 Verado was 49. did touch 50 a time or two with two guys in the boat. I cannot say enough good about the smart craft gauges and the RPM troll down. I could get any speed I wanted out of it as low as 1.3 MPH going forward. Worked wonderful for trolling cranks and back trolling bottom bouncers.

The space in the boat was incredible. very large casting deck upfront and a nice cock-pit. I had the upgraded snap-in mesh. Very nice compared to the carpet.

A few things I wasn't impressed with were the stickers on the outside of the boat. lower attention to detail on the gel lines were a disappointment. The drain ports in the cock-pit are a bit small. when cleaning the boat water would pool up a bit. The storage is not dry storage in the least. The fit and finish of the compartments was lower then expected.

For the money an O.K. boat. But it was sold due to the fact I learned I wanted a windshield. I will make another post tonight on my review of a water test on a 2015 Larson 2020 with a windshield.

You are gonna have fun looking at boats with your new criteria. So many nice rigs out there that fit your needs smile

Skeeters, Rangers, Glass Lunds, Warriors, Yarcrafts, Tuffys, Nitros, Starcrafts, Tritons, Larsons etc all have some great rigs.

If you are like I was picking a new boat, your eyes will start to cross and your head will start to spin LOL

Now the big question...... How much coin are you dropping and how big is your garage and tow vehicle?? grin

You are gonna have fun looking at boats with your new criteria. So many nice rigs out there that fit your needs smile

Skeeters, Rangers, Glass Lunds, Warriors, Yarcrafts, Tuffys, Nitros, Starcrafts, Tritons, Larsons etc all have some great rigs.

If you are like I was picking a new boat, your eyes will start to cross and your head will start to spin LOL

Now the big question...... How much coin are you dropping and how big is your garage and tow vehicle?? grin

Yeah I'm already starting to cross the eyes. I'm Kinda on a budget I can't spend any over 60 and that's out the door water ready. I'd be a lot more comfortable under 50.

Originally Posted By: gregg52
hmmm

that's interesting

will be interested to see what the difference tiller vs wheel is

I was not comparing apples to apples. The old boat ran a 200 verado and the one I test drove with Ben from J and K marine on Leech lake was running a 250 Suzuki.

The first thing I noticed about the changes from 14 to 15 were the gel lines. Much nicer looking boat now. They also added a bit of sparkle flake as well. A nice touch. The drain ports are now bigger so you don't have the pool up when cleaning.

I was a bit unsure about the Suzuki since I have not experience with them, but it is quiet, smooth and had some power. The 250 Suzuki got the boat on plane fairly fast and gave a top speed of 53-54 with 3 guys and a bit of chop on the lake. The tiller would barely touch 50 mph.

Overall nice improvements but they still lack a bit of fit and finish.

Wednesday I am visiting the Skeeter Boat center to drive a WX 1910 with a 200 Yamaha. Full review coming later!

I have a yar craft 2095

with a 150 e-tec which I wasn't sure was going to be big

on that boat but I never lose site over bow taking off

I like that ...but its not fast 44 glass flat trim outto the max

But I'm old so I'm ok with and fish big water most of the time

so its usually windy and don't run wide open much any way

Nice to hear you noticed some improvements on the larson FX. ESPECIALLY the gel lines, I am the person that gelcoated and built both of those hulls!!

Joe, please continue to voice your opinions with the FX series with us at Larson. We truly are happy to get input, and are striving to make the best boat possible. I hope you continue to consider Larson FX.

Nice to hear you noticed some improvements on the larson FX. ESPECIALLY the gel lines, I am the person that gelcoated and built both of those hulls!!

Joe, please continue to voice your opinions with the FX series with us at Larson. We truly are happy to get input, and are striving to make the best boat possible. I hope you continue to consider Larson FX.

I will say this about Larson, they are making one heck of an attempt to build the best boat for the money. The changes they make from year to year is very impressive. It's still in the list of contenders.

Switched gears yesterday and skipped the visit to SBC. Will be rescheduling in the next few weeks.

Went and looked at the Lund Pro-v 186. Wow was that a nice boat, very sharp. The front deck was the deepest I have seen a glass boat. The air ride seats that Lund puts in them feel a little weak. I should clarify, I did not ride in the Lund. I have decided against the Lund just because the 186 was a bit small in the cockpit and the bigger glass Lunds are getting out of my price range.

Went out in the Larson 2020 with the Verado. Same top end speed as the Suzuki (53 mph) Hole shot was about half a second faster. I was thinking the Merc would have higher top end speed. Conditions were about the same. Needless to say the boat handled the same and rode nice.

The verado had power steering which made turning the boat (at any speed) easier. A nice touch in my book.

Figured this thread was lacking a bit without this... full-5334-55843-11175053_934368926390_83

I wouldn't rule out the new Nitro ZV21 or ZV18. Both are sick boats!

My dad pulled the trigger and ordered a ZV21 at the boat show. We have fished with it a few times now and I am VERY impressed with this boat. I am a Lund and Skeeter guy and own a Pro V but my next boat will  be a ZV18.

I've been in some Skeeters, Rangers, and Warrior boats. I couldn't believe how nice his 21 ran in rough water. And the layout was very nicely designed. I would say the only thing I don't like about it is the live well divider doesn't seem to come out.... Not that it's a big deal because both sides are pretty big. I think it has something to do with helping the water from sloshing around with how big the live well is.

Edited by elusivecrappiecatcher

I have heard nothing but good things about Jay and his team. I am still considering the ZV 21 but I am almost thinking it is too much boat, If their is such a thing. :)

Don't forget about Ranger. I own a 621 with a 300 verado pro 4 and it handles Lake Superior every day. It is a comfortable dry ride on big water even in some pretty sizeable waves. I have hit 61 WOT in it on a calm day and it gets out of the hole very well. I love the storage in the back (same layout as a zv21 basically). I can keep a ton of tackle in it at once. All these boats are great and you really can't go wrong but the 619 or 620 may be perfect for you. I would check one out before you buy!

Don't forget about Ranger. I own a 621 with a 300 verado pro 4 and it handles Lake Superior every day. It is a comfortable dry ride on big water even in some pretty sizeable waves. I have hit 61 WOT in it on a calm day and it gets out of the hole very well. I love the storage in the back (same layout as a zv21 basically). I can keep a ton of tackle in it at once. All these boats are great and you really can't go wrong but the 619 or 620 may be perfect for you. I would check one out before you buy!

​I have done a little looking at the rangers but they bring Blood money for a used one and out of my range on new. How do you like the 300 pro? I have some talk about hearing a constant whine from the supercharger?

I did ride in a 1910 with Dean from skeeter boat center a few weeks ago. I cannot say enough good about that boat or SBC. Fit and finish is good and a ton of storage up front. That boat tracks better then any boat I have drove. I like the how deep the boat is, makes you feel very secure in it. Dean brought up a 1910 for me to drive and was very easy to deal with.

The 1910 I drove had a 200 Yamaha on the back. I was a bit disappointed with the holeshot on it. took a bit of time to get up. But WOT with 3 people and gear had it at 49 mph. Which is fast for a 19 foot boat.

I love the 300 pro. We can talk to each other very easy and cruising speeds or listen to the radio. The holeshot is the best I've had in a boat. If you run it at about 35mph the gas consumption isn't to bad for a 300 horse engine, but that is easier said than done on a calm day! Not much of a whistle from the supercharger unless you are going WOT 60mph. Skeeters are also a great boat and I almost bought one, for trolling there is a little more room to move around without the compartments but for casting I love being able to have those compartments to stand on. I would say pick the boat with the best dealer around you. For me the nearest skeeter dealer is 3 hours away. I can not say much about the yamaha engines as I have zero experience with them. I have owned a Evinrude and now a Mercury, both have been great and I am sure yamaha makes a great one too. It is pretty hard to go wrong these days, everyone makes a great boat! 

Anyone have any experience with a Lund 208 with a 300 verado pro? I am starting to consider them.

I am also in the same spot as you Joe. I cant get a 20' boat in the garage so I need a 18 or 19' with swing tongue. After looking at and riding in about every glass boat in that catagory Im down to 2 boats. The Skeeter wx 1910 is my 1st choice and the Nitro is next but Im not a Mercury fan so Im betting my next boat will be the skeeter 1910 with 200 yamaha and 9.9 kicker. The 1910 is the best riding 19' boat I have been in . When propped right you get a good hole shot and touch low 50's at times. Only thing I wish was different is the front rod locker. I wish it had 2 levels.

I do not like the lay out of Rangers or Tritons. Although they are both beautiful boats. The Yarcraft and Warrior are nice but heavy and slower. I wish I could afford the Lund GL but then again I would pay to get a Yamaha on it. I like that you can take the 2 rear side storage bins out if you like. I need a lot of rear room for all the trolling we do.

The skeeter mx 2025 is awesome as well but I like the depth of the WX series better.

The skeeter 1850 is nice but a bit small for me. I dont like the Ranger Angler much.

I think apples to apples for the money the Skeeter wx 1910 is a very hard boat to beat. Being 6'6" tall I would also get the taller full windshield on it. Even if it slowed it down a tad.

Edited by Northlander

I did like the way the 1910 tracked. Very nice boat. Get a hold of Dean at SBC tremendous service from these guys!

Deam Marshal is the only guy I would buy a new Skeeter from. He knows his shiznitand dont blow no smoke.

Joe that Lund is a awesome boat but like you said they are PRICEY! I did hear they arent as fast as the skeeter when comparing apples to apples. Verry very well layed out boats and the attention to detail is awesome. The best rod storage of any boat I have seen.