• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fawns

Just curious to see when people start seeing newborn fawns, with a gestation time of 200-210 days this will indicate when peak breeding was. I am just curious to look back at what the "experts" where saying about last falls timing of the rut and peak breeding. Moon phase etc.

Grandpa used to say when we cut 1st crop fawns are on the ground as we used to chew some up in the equipment on occasion. Don't quite get the expert ? The only, what appears to be a dry doe, is likely a wolf, bear or coyote casualty of the fawn so the doe appears she didn't have any. With the wolf I saw last night on one side of the road, happy my family got to put binocs on it as well and the thick coyotes behind the barn I hope there isn't a single doe in the neighborhood and from what we've seen, lack thereof, there isn't.

By experts I mean the various magazines or the know it all at the local watering hole or any other expert that talks about timing of the rut. Maybe someone will get fawns on trail camera that were just born, thus count back the gestation period and find out breeding date, approximately. Not too scientific, just curiosity.

Saw my first fawn yesterday. A doe was crossing the road at mid-day, saw something about the size of a big cat (with longer legs) in the ditch and sure enough, a fawn followed her across the road.

ESS, Did a quick internet search of whitetail deer gestation and came up with several different lengths, I'll let you do the math.

------------------------------

Mating occurs from October to December and gestation is approximately 6 and a half months (200 days)

(193 to 205 days)

The gestation period for whitetail deer is approximately seven months,

The gestation period for white-tailed deer is slightly less than 7 months or between 190 and 210 days

You got my curiosity up so I searched for 'date subtraction calculator', found one, subtracting 200 days from 5/17/2015 gave me:

Result: Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Some buck got lucky before the prime rut dates of early November. Also shows that you just need to spend as much as time in the woods as possible from Halloween to Thanksgiving.