Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
LHarris

Morels

morels_zpsojtwqxdo.jpg

My friend Sam Delventhal was out 8 hours today searching for morels. Sam scored 12 pounds. He stopped by to give me a pound tonight. The going rate at the local gas stations is 20 dollars a pound. The gas stations sell them for 25-28 pounds. This is quite normal until the Morel Mushroom Days are finished this weekend in Muscoda. I have seen them going for 30-35 dollars a pound at the Madison Farmer's Market. Sam says there is about 10 more days of morel hunting left.

If I find any big yellows this year going to try stuffing a few with some savory mixture of something. Maybe meat, probably some sort of cheese, with for sure some reduced onion garlic herb mixture....maybe tangy peppers ...relleno style.

'Rocket fuel' toxin from poison mushrooms sickens 10 in Michigan

www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2015/05/poison_mushrooms_they_thought.html

Cj2nd2.jpg

The tell-tale signs of false morel, Verpa bohemica, above, are the attachment of the cap to the stalk at the top of the cap, and the cottony material in the stem. True morels are hollow, said Chris Wright, Midwest America Mycological Information.

-----

Five people in the same West Michigan family got sick from eating what they thought were morel mushrooms last week, bringing the total so far this season to 10, poison control records show.

The toxin produced by false morels is "basically rocket fuel," said Dr. Cynthia Aaron, medical director of the poison center in Detroit. It can cause liver damage and seizures.

Of those poisoned in Michigan so far this year, most just had to drink water and wait out the nausea and diarrhea of the unpleasant experience, Aaron said.

Three or four of them, though, required hospitalizations.

"The season is just starting," she said.

By the time the 2014 morel season ended, 46 people had been poisoned, all by eating what they thought were safe morels, Aaron said. Those who are poisoned by ingesting other mushrooms are tallied separately.

So far, poisonings have been reported in Macomb, Oakland, Lapeer, Kent, Hillsdale and Allegan counties, she said, and none this year has resulted in permanent damage or death.

That's always a possibility, she said, with the very young and very old most likely to suffer severe problems if they ingest false morels, she said.

False morels create a toxin, monomethylhydrazine, the volative chemical that's used as rocket fuel.

-----

FZHcSF.jpg

True morels, such as Morchella esculentoides, are hollow, with a cap attached at the bottom, said Chris Wright, Midwest American Mycological Information.

-----

Ingested, the chemical affects the liver and central nervous system. Eat a little, and you suffer vomiting and diarrhea, but if you eat enough "you can die from continued seizures," Aaron said. "You can get pretty sick."

In addition to the problems caused by morel look-alikes, some people develop an allergy-like reaction to even true morels after years of eating them with no issues. "If you have a reaction, it doesn't go away," Aaron said. "It will get worse."

In an effort to head off mushroom accidents, Michigan State University Extension educator Michelle Jarvie published a paper on Michigan wild mushroom safety on the MSU Extension HSOforum last month reminding foragers that of the 2,500 large, fleshy mushroom species in Michigan, only 60-100 of them are generally regarded as safe to eat.

Even mushrooms that are well tolerated by most people most of the time can make some people sick -- if they are sensitive, or if the mushroom wasn't prepared properly or was eaten raw, she warns in the report.

Levels of toxicity in Michigan mushrooms range from "deadly poisonous," to "occasional gastric distress," Jarvie wrote.

Here's an excerpt from the publication:

"Several of the deadly species, especially those in the Amanita family, are extremely dangerous because symptoms don't develop until six to 36 hours after ingestion, which is too late for the only antidote – a stomach pump. Another poisonous mushroom to be aware of this spring is the false morel, or beefsteak mushroom (Gyromitra esculenta). It is commonly mistaken for a true morel, and can have deadly results."

Jarvie said foragers would be smart to never eat any morel unless they are absolutely positive of its identification and to cook all mushrooms thoroughly.

Aaron said it is fairly easy to distinguish between true morels and false morels:

In true morels the caps are pitted, and when cut in half true morels have thin walls and are hollow inside. The connection of cap to wall will be at the bottom, she said.

The caps of false morels have brain-like waves rather than pits, and the mushroom has thick walls, with the cap connected high inside. It is not hollow.

Aaron said the safest way to forage for mushrooms is with true experts, on hunts organized by the Michigan Mushroom Hunters Club.

"They organize mushroom hunts, and picking with with them is the safest way to do it," she said.