• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

When is a limit a limit??

BLACKJACK

Keep in mind guys that just because some COs have said it's illegal, and apparently anglers have gotten tickets for it, doesn't mean it is illegal (of course it's still a hassle for anyone who gets a ticket!).

The OP was simply asking "is it illegal or not?" and so far no one has been able to prove that it is indeed illegal.

You guys go ahead and do what your going to do.

To me its not worth the ticket, or the potential for 3years worth of sitting on the couch.

1 shy = fish away

Limit in the boat = Go home or make a change

Just because you promise not to cull your fish doesn't mean the next guy wont. Like it or not the laws in this state are an attempt to regulate ethics and morals.

As they always say if you want to know the truth call your CO or St. Paul. On this one you might get a ticket from one and a pass from another. But I assure you, if you have 9 crappies in your live well and change to C&R of the crappies you continue to catch you wont have to worry about a ticket. If you have 10 in the well and don't change to bass fishing... Well that's the chance you take.

That's a different argument and not apples to apples.

Your +20" fish is just part of your overall limit. Which is what we are talking about here. In that argument you can continue to fish walleye's as your limit is (6)fish with no more than (1)over 20"

No, that 20” fish isn’t part of your limit it IS you limit. Catching a 22”er that you can’t keep is NO DIFFERENT than catching a 19” than you can keep. At least based on all the boogeyman logic of accidental catch.

I say go out have fun, catch all the fish you want, just don’t keep more than a limit. Worry about bigger things in life like what you are going to have for a side dish or what flavor beer to wash it down.

End of story.

But if you already have 1 fish over 20" in possession and you catch another (while trying to fill our your limit) by your logic you are now over your limit of 20"+ fish and you could get a ticket. I think its a fair argument given you are talk possession limit in both cases. The only thing that changes is the size of fish and size of limit you are allowed.

For those that say you need to stay one shy can you point to the specific regs you are using to come to that conclusion because I just can't find a written reg that supports the claim.

From everything printed in ink (that I've ever seen) about having a limit, the only change that needs to be made is to stop culling. For me personally, I don't cull anyways unless I have the amount of fish I want to keep and gut hook another. That would then take the place of a healthy fish in my possession. Heck, I'd probably do the same thing if I had 10 crappies already and was trying to catch sunnies.

This topic has been discussed many times on here. Several years back someone from the DNR spoke up and put this issue to rest. I have saved his response for years-

"This should settle it

Hello,

Yes, you can continue to fish for walleye. You can not cull once you

have a possession in your live well. Not that it matters right now. But

the season does need to be open on the type of fish you’re targeting. I've

added that because we do get questions on whether you can fish and catch

and release a species that is closed or the season has ended.

Good luck.

Jim

James Abernathy

DNR Information Consultant

500 Lafayette Rd Box 40

St Paul MN 55155

651-296-6157

1-888-646-6367"

It may only apply to some species of fish, but I remember once being told that the "possession" limit also includes what is in your freezer. So if 6 is the "possession" limit for walleyes and you have 5 in the freezer, you better have a fish fry before going keeping more than 1 additional fish.  I can't just go catch 6 each day (as if I'd be that lucky).

Sometimes the regs can be so confusing.  Just sayin.

Wannafish2

It may only apply to some species of fish, but I remember once being told that the "possession" limit also includes what is in your freezer. So if 6 is the "possession" limit for walleyes and you have 5 in the freezer, you better have a fish fry before going keeping more than 1 additional fish.  I can't just go catch 6 each day (as if I'd be that lucky).

Sometimes the regs can be so confusing.  Just sayin.

Wannafish2

That is absolutely the case. Fish in the freezer are considered in possession, and insofar as there is a possibility that the DNR will inspect your freezer, the number in your boat added to the number in your freezer better not exceed the limit for the number of licenses in your household.

That said, the DNR inspecting your freezer is highly unlikely unless you are caught grossly violating the possession limit while on the water.

But that's the regulation. Possession equals possession. You possess the fish in your freezer.

Edited by Igor Drackenwolf

This one is simple, keep on fishing and C&R if you happen to catch that same species that you have a limit of.

You cannot get a ticket for catching a fish if you already have a limit of that species, that'd just be impossible to hold up in court.

Edited by fishnowworknever

Correct, culling once you have reached your daily/possession limit is illegal.  But if you remain one short of the limit then you can cull.  Not sure how that makes any sense but thats how the regs are written.

Possibly so nobody can use the excuse of I just caught one and am going to release this one if they are caught over the limit. Or could also just be due to the "reduced to limit" language as then you technically are one over the limit for a brief time???

As years gone by, I hate it when the wording gets slightly altered....

Bass tourney got their fishing swap in live well privileged in law now...I was so used to never culling fish.

Trout species is always a sensitive issues... It is like the moment you touch and/ or remove the fish from water, you are in possession of it.  

Everyone here makes their point, and I am not trying to make any accusations, but, isn't it our responsibility to stay within the boundaries set by the regulations?  Aren't all rules and regulations set with the hope that they will be followed?  Just like any other law?  Yes, most of us probably speed a little, and most of us aren't angels, but when it comes to fish and wildlife, I guess I feel like we have a responsibility to try to follow the rules.  If that means I have to have fish for dinner before I can go catch more walleye tomorrow, so be it.  Look at what's happening to Mille Lacs.  And I bet most of the people who have fished that lake's walleye would point their fingers at each other before looking in the mirror.  Just human nature.  But, collectively everyone has contributed to the end result.  and we can't put the fish back in the lake now, can we?  So, speaking just for myself, I'll eat up and follow the rules the best I can because I want to fish next year, and the year after that.

My .02