• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Livewell pump repair replacement Lund Mr Pike 17/ Explorer models

Sorgy

I have a 2002 Lund Mr Pike 17. My pump would make noise but no water ever made it to the livewell(s). Water was not being pumped into the boats bilg area.

Does anyone have any experience with a fix or replacement. Can you share any tips?

I have 1 pump right at the back of the boat where the water intake is. Is there more than 1 pump on these Lund models?

It looks like a dryland repair of the pump.

Thanks

Steve

If you have no tried it already, turn livewell pump on . put boat in reverse with big motor at pretty good speed backwards. Sometimes this will get the water flowing. A buddy of mine has same issue with his lund ProV.Once it starts filling you should be good to go without the big motor.

Good chance the hose has cracked or come off internally, especially since you can hear the pump running. Try to blow back compressed air from livewell outlet and see if you can feel it at the pump...or flush with water the same way, and see if it makes it to the pump. That's where I'd start.

Thanks for the ideas guy's, Now I have to pull the boat out of the water before I try to open up the pump.

How does the whole system work? I have 2 livewells. I may have a second recirculating pump up front. But I believe I only have onle inlet for both livewells with the pump right in the back.

Hopefully someone with experience with this boat - the Mr Pike will see it.

Good luck on the water

Steve

p.s. Maybee I can take off the screen in back and put a plug in it to check the rest of the pump.

If a little pebble, dead minnow, fish line or something keeps the pump propeller from turning, the pump will make a running like noise. I'd find those pumps and pull them apart to see if something is caught in there. While you are at it, you can check to hose connections too.

The pump could be humming but nut turning the impellar. Is that a cartridge type ? Just pull it out and check it. Also on my Explorer you can turn the water on and off inside the livewell. There is a little screw valve that isn't that visable.

Do you have separate switches for each livewell, and is neither livewell filling correctly?

Sorry for the questions, but I'm trying to narrow down the type of system you have.

At a high level, based on what you have said so far, I'd bet on a weak / damaged impeller or an air bubble (high point) in the hose that feeds your livewell.

I'm guessing though that this used to work, and now doesn't, correct?

marine_man

Thanks Marine Man- I have to believe it is the impeller as well. Yes it has 2 live wells and 2 switches. I believe that one of them will fill up both livewells when turned on. Both Switches have Manual and Automatic for the fill and timers. I may have 2 pumps for the wells with 1 that is for the fill of both.

I will try Lund again and see if they can give me a diagram and acess points for the pumps.

Thanks

Steve

I have the same boat, 2002 17 mr pike, and have changed pumps. Pretty easy to do. I picked up a new one at fleet farm, and had it installed in 20 minutes or so. Both pumps are mounted right at the back of the boat, I was able to reach it through the starting battery compartment.

My only hesitation on saying it's the pump is if there is a recirculation valve involved, the valve cable (or however it's actuated) could be stretched, the valve could be shot or otherwise.

What I'd maybe do first is turn the pump on, and verify that if you force water through the pump it goes where you want it to.. you could do this as someone above mentioned by putting the motor in reverse while on the water and forcing water in there, or, when the boat is on a trailer, holding a hose against the intake (you'll probably have to spin the screen off if there is one on it). If you get water in the livewell, I'd go for a weak pump or broken impeller.

marine_man

Here is my follow up-

I stopped by Nelson Marine in WBL and told him what I had. I just needed the new pump cartridge. Cost for a 500 gph pump was $25.00. It was a no brainer for the age of the boat. took more time to load the boat than to change out the pump. Lift up a yellow tab, turn the cartrige counter clockwise and lift it out. Take the new pump - check the O-ring and insert it. turn it clockwise and done. 2 wire splices and it was done. I should have stopped at a marine dealership earlier.

Thank for the help.

Steve