• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

We doubled!!!

bmc

My wife and I were both able to get our birds!

We had hung trail cams on April 15th on 2 new farms we were going to hunt in northern Wadena County, MN.

We checked them this past Monday and not one pic of a turkey. Ugh!!!

I called the farmer from farm 2 and he said go to the SE corner of his property, he had been seeing turkeys there. So we went down there and set up the blind in a little clump of willow brush in a soggy area that had marsh marigolds growing in it.

At farm 1 we put up a blind in a narrow, long pasture that ran N/S. To the west was really thick pines and to the east, large popple trees and then swamp past that. The farmer told us he sees turkeys roosting in this area.

Tuesday morning we went to Farm 1 and crawled in the blind, What a beautiful morning and we had turkeys gobbling all around us for 2 straight hours. We only saw 2 hens though.

We come back in the afternoon and moved the blind to where the pasture opens up into a hay field, so the decoys would be more visible. We saw a couple of hens and while walking back to our vehicle, we saw 4 jakes out in the corn stubble.

Wednsday morning we came back to the Farm 1 blind and settled in. It was overcast, windy, and we only heard one gobble off in the distance. Where did they all go?? About 8:30 am I look out through the roof of the blind and see a strutting tom about 100 yds away in the hay field. There's also a couple other turkeys with him.

I let out some yelps on the box call and he immediately starts heading our way strutting and gobbling. He took his sweet time and we thought he had hung up. I let out a real soft series of yelps with my Primos Spring Hen push button call and he let out a gobble that scared the you know what out of us. LOL

Unfortunately, he wouldn't get closer than 40 yds and he circled our entire set up. My wife is shooting a 20 gauge and we decided on a limit of 20-25yds for shooting range, based on target practice. I didn't feel comfortable with that long of a shot w/ my bow either. Still it was a great show and my wife's first experience with a long beard that close.

All of the sudden the gobbler takes off running to the east and we hear all kinds of gobbling coming from the hay field. I look out and see 5 jakes headed our way. I tell my wife to get ready and the 5 jakes march right into the decoys gobbling like crazy. I told my wife to pic one out that is by himself so she doesn't shoot two. She waited patiently and BOOM! Her first turkey is on the ground. The other 4 jakes ran around and took off. We were so excited!!! This was her first harvest of any animal, so it was really cool.

We waited for a while hoping another turkey would come in, but no luck.

We then took a bunch of pics and took the afternoon off to relax and visit with our hosts.

Thursday morning we woke up to pouring rain and decided to sleep in.

We headed out to Farm 2 around 11:00 am and were set up by 11:30. With the heavy drizzle and rain, we weren't real confident, but you can't get them staying home. I let out 2 series of yelps on my box call and settled in.

At noon my wife's eyes get big and she points to the right, where I can't see. She says get ready! I knock an arrow and see a jake marching right into the decoys!

I put the pin on him and squeezed the trigger on my release.....THWACK......and he dropped in his tracks!!! I ran out to make sure he didn't get away and we were tagged out!

My wife's jake weighed in at 13 lbs and my jake weighed in at 12 lbs. Not monsters by any means, but we had a GREAT time and are already looking forward to next spring.

That was my wife's first turkey and my 2nd turkey.

Here's a couple pics.

brians%20bird_zpsnkdfzhhq.jpg

marys%20bird_zpsfepmzgn4.jpg

Brian

It sure has Donbo.

Those darn turkeys have had my number for many years.

It's nice to see the tide finally turning in my favor! LOL

Brian