• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just Food and Drink

21 hours ago, Dotch said:

Better post this before I doze off. Lamb chops seasoned with Roasted Garlic Herb and dusted with a light coating of cumin. Tomatoes, buttercup squash and Superstar muskmelon courtesy of the garden. Unfortunately I forgot to make the green beans. Sorry Reb! ;):lol:chops 9 18.jpgchops 9 18 1.jpg 

So the closest thing i have ever eaten was mutton.  It was like eating an old boot with manure caked on it.  Do lamb chops have a gamey taste to them?  I have always wanted to try one but i hate to spend money on something that i don't care for.  My in laws will eat let of lamb all the time but if i have to put mint jelly on it then that is a red flag for me.  Any thoughts?  Thanks Jeff

46 minutes ago, jmd1 said:

So the closest thing i have ever eaten was mutton.  It was like eating an old boot with manure caked on it.  Do lamb chops have a gamey taste to them?  I have always wanted to try one but i hate to spend money on something that i don't care for.  My in laws will eat let of lamb all the time but if i have to put mint jelly on it then that is a red flag for me.  Any thoughts?  Thanks Jeff

Lots of thoughts. During WWII, troops in the South Pacific were fed mutton. It was awful and soured the returning soldiers on ever eating sheep or lamb again. Mutton is defined as that coming from a sheep that is one year old or older. Some breeds maintain their integrity past a year better than others. The Cheviot breed is a case in point. It's what we've raised for 30 years and it is the mildest flavored lamb I've ever eaten. We don't let them get more than a year old before slaughter but even when it's been close, there's no gamey taste in it whatsoever.

The main issue is the lack of consistency in American lamb. Some producers get hung up on how many lambs the ewes produce, how large the animals are and how fast they can get them to market with little regard for what the consumer demands when it comes to flavor. I am appalled by the number of people who raise sheep and don't actually eat it themselves. And some of the dummies who do eat it actually like stronger flavored lamb so in their mind, therefore everybody else should too. Bleccchhh!!! IMO, this is why mint jelly is used: To cover the strong taste of crummy lamb. The Kiwi's and the Aussies have done a much better job than we have of meeting that consumer demand with a consistent product in all aspects including flavor. Not to say that American lamb can't be as good or better, it's just not as consistent overall, yet.

I grill the lamb we raise myself. We have always enjoyed having people over who have never tried lamb. We'll usually do shish kabob or chops but along with that, I'll grill some beef hamburgers just in case they don't like the lamb. So far no one has eaten any of the hamburgers. No mint jelly necessary because there's nothing to hide. :D    

37 minutes ago, smurfy said:

Pretty sure the lamb master dotch will chime in when he is done with him tinctures!:grin:

Pretty sure you'd eat blue katchup on lamb you darn smurf! :P 

10 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Good lamb well prepared is delicious.  My sister-in-law has made rack of lamb at Easter and I really liked it.    Now if the lamb gets a little too old it is stronger flavored or so I have heard. 

Musta been on sale or mislabeled.

54 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Musta been on sale or mislabeled.

where have I heard that before!!!!!!!:grin:

whats wrong wit blue kathcup dotch!!!!!!!!!! :P think of it as blue mint jelly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

39 minutes ago, roony said:

I like lamb but the warden thinks its baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

roony.......I get it!!!!!!!!!!!:grin::grin:

39 minutes ago, roony said:

I like lamb but the warden thinks its baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

roony.......I get it!!!!!!!!!!!:grin::grin:

On Tuesday, August 09, 2016 at 5:44 PM, delcecchi said:

Bass, meatballs, hash browns, oriental veggie mix.

Maybe pics in a little while.  Still happy hour now.

You eat bass and you're going to rip on some grapefruit Shandy? Your self-righteousness knows no bounds.

On 9/28/2016 at 2:17 PM, delcecchi said:

I don't care for any shandy.  They all taste bad to me.   Go drink your mike's hard lemonade, or maybe Coors light, and pretend you are in the mountains.

I agree 

My wife will drink the Shandy's. I'm more of a Stout/ IPA kind of guy