• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

jalapeño poppers

So i picked up some poppers from Von Hansons and they were awesome and it got me thinking could i pre make a bunch of these at home seemed like they were near frozen my thinking is to cut jalapeño in half stuff with cream cheese and freeze than wrap in bacon before cooking anyonr try this

thanks in advance Ryan

Wife and I make these. Buy them in bulk and glove up. Half and seed. Mix cream cheese and shredded cheese and seasoning for the stuffing. Top w/ some more cheese or olives or cocktail weenies or wrap w/ partial piece of bacon held w/ toothpick or (wait for it) weenie and bacon! Freeze on cookie sheet and transfer to zip locks. Maybe the flat picks wouldn't poke through the bag as readily but we've froze as many as 12 packs of 12-18 halves and no problem with freeze and use in 6 months. Take em out and cook in foil on grill, or oven, or pizza cooker.

We've tried deep frying w/o success though we like best baked w/o breading or batter anyway.

Same here. I use low fat cream cheese which I pipe in by cutting the end off a zip lock bag and then wrap them in Turkey bacon. Low cal-fat was the Doc's suggestion! frown But, they still taste good. smile

I add some brown sugar to the creme cheese or buy the sweetened stuff with walnuts in it. Put a part of a shrimp in it before wrapping with bacon. I also quit using a tooth pick to hold it together, if you wrap the bacon right you can skip that step.

Also, for the faint of heart I will buy the red, orange, and yellow peppers that aren't hot and add some of those to the jalepenos.

AKA Atomic Buffalo Turds around here. I mix the cream cheese with smoked chipotle chili powder , chives, and garlic, sometimes also a little crumbled Chorizo sausage, and wrap with double-smoked bacon....perfect appetizers for Cinco de Mayo! Be sure to make more than you think you need.... I also like to top mine hot off the grill with a dab of cold coarse -chopped homemade salsa or chopped tomatos.... laugh

30vn4w2.jpg

Yeah, those do look good! To the OP, anytime you freeze a natural milk product, it will separate upon thawing and change it's texture and consistency. Maybe there is a "low temp" cheese product similar to high temp cheeses used in brats and stuff that commercial processors use? Don't know. Do know, for me, that poppers are in the sacred category and always make fresh. They are time consuming though and would be nice not to go through the hassle of making fresh each time. Would suggest you test fresh and frozen against each other and weigh it out for what works best for you.

I guess you could freeze certain components for them? Say if Jalapenos go on sale or the like you can core and half them and then freeze bags of just those? That is if the texture maintains. But yes, I would think it is all in the type of cheese used by Vonhansens and the like for the ones they do freeze.

Tonight i halved a few and put Chipotle cream cheese in them and topped with a three cheese blend but the pepper seemed on the soft side after grilling where there bacon wrapped ones seemed to have a chrispper texture i have always cored them and stuffed with various cheese products and they always seem a touch soft still good but i do like the texture of Von Hansons