• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smallmouth vs Largemouth

TimC

Well actually the smallies up here in the north do have more meat on them. Cold water treats and the small fish are very stout compare to the largemouth of the same length. Just saying

If I'm in the north half of the state I prefer Smallies, if I'm in the south half of the state I prefer Largies.

If I had to pick just one I'd probably go with Smallies just because I prefer fishing they types of lakes where they are more prevalent.

Oh, and they are both delicious.

2433d8ceb1b1503abfda1f4c988f5980468b079c

Living by the Mississippi river for 25 years means I like bronzebacks. smile I really love pitching a tube to a spot I think one might be and WHAM! The body doesn't allow me to get aggressive these days but I still have fun chasing them once in a while. Stick baits also wacky style but tubes last a lot longer. smile Then running a buzzbait and waiting for the gulp. Just started doing that not too long ago. Always have a few Mepps in the box and love them also. So many more thing to try but the tackle boxes are only so big. grin

"Smallies have more meat on them. smile "

Really? Here comes the species bullies. Put your chest out, my species is better than yours. Comments like this are what make idiots out of some anglers. You have the ability to add so much to this form.....

I will play, sure glad I chopped the head off that 28" walleye I caught this weekend....I am just going to eat the cheeks though. The rest? In the garbage. smile

chill out dude. It was a joke. I was making fun of the "which is better" thing. I realize that eating a bass is anathema to many folks.

I live in the middle zone where to the south of me largemouth are king and to the north the smallmouth are. So with in travel distance I have the best of both worlds. I also have several rivers where I can chase smallies. As far as tackle goes I have boxes for each species. I don't think catching smallies on top water can be beat other then fighting smallies in a river, pound for pound I think smallies in fast water are the toughest pole bending fish you can find. But then you toss a plastic worm up under a dock and a five pound largemouth takes you for a ride around dock posts and under pontoons and jumps a few feet above the water to send your lure at a hundred miles back at your head.. Ya I have to pick....

I guess I like largies more, but that is mostly because their aren't many smallie lakes in my area. Guess I could hit the river, but don't really feel like dodging rocks all the time.

I think largies would have more meat on them. I'm pretty sure river smallies pull harder, but I've had some largies that pull pretty good too for their size.

I go back and forth on the two. I would say I mostly like to fish smallies more unless I am flipping heavy timber for largemouth. By far my favorite way to fish. Nothing like pitching a jig into a bunch of sticks and trees and feeling that pop and wrestling that beast out of there. It's a treat though when I pitch into that heavy timber and a smallie comes out...that's happened before too :-)

I go back and forth on the two. I would say I mostly like to fish smallies more unless I am flipping heavy timber for largemouth. By far my favorite way to fish. Nothing like pitching a jig into a bunch of sticks and trees and feeling that pop and wrestling that beast out of there. It's a treat though when I pitch into that heavy timber and a smallie comes out...that's happened before too :-)

I was about to say the EXACT same thing...

Love me some bucket faces but Mille Lacs will persuade you otherwise.

My favorite is whichever one I caught last. Entirely different charms and challenges to each. I love smallies for their unpredictability, tenacity and attitude. Love largemouths for their adaptability, how versatile they make you become, and how predictable they can be when you play your cards right and get them wired.